What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear question

RVMike

Is it possible to modify an existing RV-4 with the older, lower profile gear to the higher profile gear? I have not been able to find anything on that particular item. I have found a very nice late 80's -4 with the lower gear, but I do prefer the higher configuration.

Any thoughts appreciated !

short answer = yes

Yes it is possible, but it is major surgery because the engine mount has to be changed too because the angle of the longer gear is different from the shorter gear.

Vans sells a kit for the mod

They sell an engine mount and long gear combo sub-kit for $1,600. It includes a number of items needed to make the modification, not just the engine mount and legs. You should call them and inquire. They are very service oriented and friendly to deal with.

short legs

95Jf is my steed since 86. Short legs. yes. So, longer legs buy you higher deck angle/high AOA at landing. BFD. Yes, you can pull the nose that high. and why do you do that? Spend a little time watching the masses land these critters...mains on first. BFD. on the other hand, if you have a 72 inch Hartzell and nose heavy, and bounce your plane, by all means. J N95JF

Back