What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for IO-540 Lead Time Pireps

Hey Guys,

The Van's website is quoting 12-14 months for a Lycoming 6-cylinder (Not Thunderbolt). Been hearing that it's much longer but no details besides that so I'm wondering if there are any pireps available from folks to confirm or deny so I can plan accordingly.

THANKS! -JP

Thunderbolt

JP,

I know you're not looking for info on a Thunderbolt, but I thought I'd give you our experiences simply as a reference point.

Ordered February 20, 2022. Expect delivery December 2023.

Best of luck!
Mike

JP,

I know you're not looking for info on a Thunderbolt, but I thought I'd give you our experiences simply as a reference point.

Ordered February 20, 2022. Expect delivery December 2023.

Best of luck!
Mike
Dude, that's nuts! People build houses faster than that!

I ordered my engine June 30, 2021. I just received an email asking for final payment so they can start building it. Not a Thunderbolt.

Also a Thunderbolt 540, ordered Feb 15th (week of the impending price increase where they reportedly sold over 300 engines in 7 days), and our estimated delivery is July 2023.

Also a Thunderbolt 540, ordered Feb 15th (week of the impending price increase where they reportedly sold over 300 engines in 7 days), and our estimated delivery is July 2023.

Feb 15th of 2022 or 2021?

We ordered Thunderbolt June 2021 and not a peep. thanks!

What's the alternative here? Is one better off to find a 540 that needs rebuilt and go that route? How long do the reputable rebuild shops take to do a job like that?

I'm in a similar scenario where I know I'm going to be waiting longer than I want for a motor and I'm wondering if anybody out there found a workaround.

Perhaps even finding one with a few hundred hours on it and just putting it in. Man, I don't know.

What's the alternative here? Is one better off to find a 540 that needs rebuilt and go that route? How long do the reputable rebuild shops take to do a job like that?

I'm in a similar scenario where I know I'm going to be waiting longer than I want for a motor and I'm wondering if anybody out there found a workaround.

Perhaps even finding one with a few hundred hours on it and just putting it in. Man, I don't know.

Keep an eye out for overlooked airplanes when you travel. I happened across a Piper Aztec with two O-540 engines a couple weeks ago and was able to buy the aircraft. Never know what you will find out there when you keep your eyes open for what you need. Will take about 4-6 months to rebuild the core.

Ordered a Thunderbolt in March, 2022.
An update I received last December had it slated for delivery May, 2024.

Last edited:
Back