What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealling gaps wing tip skins

rsipp

We are instructed to seal the very small gap in the wing walk doubler, but there is no mention of filling the similar gaps in the wing skin junction overlaps. Then there are the much more significant gaps in the wing tip skins. Have any of you filled these with some type of sealer or filler? If not did you have a professional painter fill these areas? Any ideas?

After certification I used Bondo to eliminate the wingtip gaps (I had to trim some excess wing top skin too at the tip). Paint and nonskid took care of the skin overlap and wingwalk. In AZ corrosion is not a big concern, especially since mine is hangared.

I used epoxy mixed with micro balloons (fairing filler). Mixed it up into peanut butter consistency and applied it to the wingtips “leading edge” with all the holes in it. Standard prep work beforehand.. scuff the surface.. and I placed electrical tape on the wingskins.. apply the mixture, let it get just a little firm.. then pull the tape off. It left nice edges. Once cured, sand to a round and smooth finish. I temporarily sprayed it with paint to protect from UV while I wait for the paint shop to call me in.

https://youtu.be/_ZgaqdGxXJg?t=812

Filling Wig tip holes

Five years ago I sent a message to Van's support questioning the wing tip holes. They sent me back a photo of a new "factory" built RV-12 with the same open holes. I told them that was not up to the standard I expected from Vans.
Apparently, nothing has changed.

I backed the holes with aluminum-backed tape and applied JB Weld to fill in the holes. After hardening, I sanded to contour, primed and painted. Five years later they still look finished and professional I've had several compliments on them.

Good luck.

I just wrote Van's this week asking the same thing, was told they are normal, and had the same thought about not meeting the otherwise high quality in the kit. It would take so very little change to the tip ribs and/or tip skins to eliminate the holes. So **** tacky. Will add epoxy when the weather warms up.

I was thinking the same about the canopy skirt around the hinge bolts with those huge gaps. I extended my fiberglass skirt edges to get a finished no-gap professional looking product. Unfortunately that makes it necessary to remove the canopy to reach all the avionics bay cover screws.

I was thinking the same about the canopy skirt around the hinge bolts with those huge gaps. I extended my fiberglass skirt edges to get a finished no-gap professional looking product. Unfortunately that makes it necessary to remove the canopy to reach all the avionics bay cover screws.

Just last week I took my canopy off to carefully trim the newly laid fiberglass to the provided template, and was pi$$ed off when I reinstalled it to find a massive gap at the front. So that really IS design intent?? (Ignore the unfinished hinge bolt hole :eek:)

(P.S. Sorry for the thread drift. I blame Rich :p)

Attachments

• IMG_4521.jpg
    IMG_4521.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 229
And I f you don’t relieve the fiberglass around the hidden avionics cover screw, you’ll curse yourself when you have to remove it because you’ll also have to remove the canopy if you don’t. And cap-head screws are cleaner for the pivot bolts too.

Attachments

• B4486A18-9F0A-4C5B-A3F8-5A9541F7165B.jpeg
    B4486A18-9F0A-4C5B-A3F8-5A9541F7165B.jpeg
    736 KB · Views: 199
This makes me feel better that I'm not the only one that thinks Van's missed the mark with the Canopy gaps at the pivot area and the wing tip cheese graters.

I took this photo of a Van's built RV-12iS last week. Not sure if that bolt was replaced, or if the new plans call for a phillips head there, but I thought it was interesting.

Attachments

• PXL_20230220_200125009.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230220_200125009.MP.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 157
A guy in our EAA chapter had a very early 12 when I had just started my build. It used the Phillips-head screws you show in the photo. That’s where I got the idea to use the cap-head screws. So, not sure if he made his own substitution or the earlier plans called for these.

And I also noticed in your photo that Van’s used conical washers on the flush-head screws on the avionics cover, at least some of them 🙂. Interesting that builders are required to EXACTLY follow the KAIs to obtain E-LSA certification, but the factory is able to make minor deviations?

Attachments

• 6062B101-DC22-4EA9-B949-ADAACAFC0343.jpeg
    6062B101-DC22-4EA9-B949-ADAACAFC0343.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 156
So this is right?

Sounds like the holes showing and the gap when the first tab is are common occurrences. All the holes line up well, but that gap really threw me off since the rest of the wing went together so seamlessly.

Can ya'll confirm that I didn't screw something up?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3965.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 174
looks the same as mine. Im planning to epoxy fill and sand before paint. People say wait till after certification but I say it does not matter. Saying that adding epoxy fill is not per ELSA cert is the same as saying that the plans do not call out painting the aircraft so I cant do that either.

Sounds like the holes showing and the gap when the first tab is are common occurrences. All the holes line up well, but that gap really threw me off since the rest of the wing went together so seamlessly.

Can ya'll confirm that I didn't screw something up?

Thanks!

That appears to be correct. A number of compromises had to be made to achieve a Horner type wingtip made exclusively of sheet material: thus the odd gaps here and there.

You may consider using fuel tank sealant instead of the body filler. Not only will it waterproof that area, it is also paintable and (my opinion) easier to get a professional looking finish.

That said, there are really no draw backs to completing the tip per KAI: no performance loss or structural deficiencies. Any filler will only serve to improve the cosmetics at the cost of increasing your empty weight.

Happy building!

Suggest filler AFTER priming

looks the same as mine. Im planning to epoxy fill and sand before paint. People say wait till after certification but I say it does not matter. Saying that adding epoxy fill is not per ELSA cert is the same as saying that the plans do not call out painting the aircraft so I cant do that either.

It was suggested to do filler work after the primer is completed:
-
Image from the OSH EVOKE Aircraft Design Forum -
FILLER WORK.jpg

Back