What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leading Edge Landing Light Placement

Tlrguy

Well Known Member
Hello all.

I’m curious if anyone has installed Vans Leading Edge LL Kit on the RV10 in any bay other than the most outboard as specified? I would like to install the kit on the second bay in from the wingtip (only one more bay in). I called Vans to query and got the obvious answer.

Perhaps this is overkill but, my plan is to install the Aeroled VX lights in the wingtips and use those for recog lighting while the Seven Stars lights are in the leading edge as landing lights. I seem to do a bunch of night flying into extreme black hole airports here in the Midwest and the LED landing lights on my previous Bonanza were barely up to the task (safely).

I personally think having the two light fixtures mounted so close is a little goofy looking, hence wanting to move the leading edge lights in just a bit.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
The good reason against cutting a hole in the leading edge further in is that it will weaken the wing. The leading edge skin forms part of D cell that helps to give the wing its strength.

Another good functional reason to put the landing lights as far apart as possible is that with wig-wag flashing it is easier for other pilots and controllers to see you.

No Black holes with Flyled 7 Stars

If you are installing the Flyleds 7 star you will be landing VFR at night!

On approach to YRED in Australia,
AMWts8Cf2ao0-rrrKO6oWA-5wlURky1gdadh48EAvIf3wK3bczy_sJKwuTHOPbkDMlMq4faOkMRBjsdHMLjpzKNQQkuuEZ5xOyuWMIxxdCD-wtWExXb2gJ381-S1ZBx9wQcAImNGG1LjiX-BxF0H0490iFFR_Q=w1000-h1000

( See the whole approach Youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUUr9vxUEI8

If you need more direct in front of you light, install the Flyled Cowl Light with the Aerosport Cowl Mount.

https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Aerosport-Products-RV-10-Cowl-light/p/227868008/category=0

"...The good reason against cutting a hole in the leading edge further in is that it will weaken the wing. The leading edge skin forms part of D cell that helps to give the wing its strength..."

As leading edge lights are approved, and offered from the factory, do you not think that the design engineers took that into account?

Have you assessed the number of RV's with leading edge lights and compared that number to structural failures due to the lights?

From an engineering standpoint you are not wrong, however, your concerns about weakening the wings, in this case, are unfounded...

"...The good reason against cutting a hole in the leading edge further in is that it will weaken the wing. The leading edge skin forms part of D cell that helps to give the wing its strength..."

As leading edge lights are approved, and offered from the factory, do you not think that the design engineers took that into account?

Have you assessed the number of RV's with leading edge lights and compared that number to structural failures due to the lights?

From an engineering standpoint you are not wrong, however, your concerns about weakening the wings, in this case, are unfounded...

Bob,
The OP asked ahout putting the landing lights further inboard than the factory approved bay location. Vans approves the most outboard bay (adjacent to the wing tip) but not the bays that are further inboard. Vans Support has already advised OP of this when he inquired as stated in post #1. So, no I certainly do not believe it is a good idea to weaken the wing by cutting a hole in the leading edge of other than the approved bay.

Last edited:
OP here. I wouldn’t necessarily say Vans said don’t move the lights in one bay. Vans did say that all the structures testing on the wing in this regard was with the light cutout in the outboard most bay and as always, this is experimental aviation so your free to do as you please.

If there is a certain Ken reading this post, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Bob,
The OP asked ahout putting the landing lights further inboard than the factory approved bay location. Vans approves the most outboard bay (adjacent to the wing tip) but not the bays that are further inboard. Vans Support has already advised OP of this when he inquired as stated in post #1. So, no I certainly do not believe it is a good idea to weaken the wing by cutting a hole in the leading edge of other than the approved bay.

Thanks!, Yes I missed that...

Back