What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New power plant order form

Yep, prices are going up everywhere. I'm sure they're doing what they can to keep prices down, but I imagine their part cost has increased substantially over the past couple of years. It hurts, but I want Van's to do what they feel they need to do to stay in business.

If you really want to feel bad, take a look at the increase in overall cost since early 2020.
Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 11.06.35 AM.png

And it's slightly worse than it looks. The current avionics pricing appears to be off. (Their base is slightly low, and a Garmin IFR system can go up to $43,495). Additionally, in 2020 Van's included a propeller in the base pricing. But now they consider it optional, and provide a base price with no propeller! :confused:

By my calculations, a basic RV-12is (with "optional" propeller) starts at $103,050. If you add all the options, (including Garmin IFR and Rotax Care) this goes up to $134,965.

Yep, prices are going up everywhere. I'm sure they're doing what they can to keep prices down, but I imagine their part cost has increased substantially over the past couple of years. It hurts, but I want Van's to do what they feel they need to do to stay in business.

If you really want to feel bad, take a look at the increase in overall cost since early 2020.
View attachment 39377

And it's slightly worse than it looks. The current avionics pricing appears to be off. (Their base is slightly low, and a Garmin IFR system can go up to $43,495). Additionally, in 2020 Van's included a propeller in the base pricing. But now they consider it optional, and provide a base price with no propeller! :confused:

By my calculations, a basic RV-12is (with "optional" propeller) starts at $103,050. If you add all the options, (including Garmin IFR and Rotax Care) this goes up to $134,965.

I agree on all fronts. It is what it is. This has helped me with my decision to not do the IFR upgrade and stick with the 2 blade prop! LOL

Just remember, with airplanes, you're not spending money, you're just transferring from one account to another and converting one asset into another asset.

True in today’s economic situation. I have to keep asking myself how sustainable this is. What happens if the bottom falls out of the bucket?

Anyway, I can’t ponder on this stuff, I am the guy that just started another build! The heck with worrying about it! LOL

Last edited:
Look on the bright side. If Van's keeps raising their prices, in a few years you'll be able to look back at how much money you saved by buying your first three kits now instead of waiting.

Dang that new power plant order form hurts by about $4,500!

And then add sales tax and exorbitant freight costs…. “A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money"

- Everett Dirksen, 1962

And then add sales tax and exorbitant freight costs…. “A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money"

- Everett Dirksen, 1962

For TN, we have to pay USE tax on airplane kits. They get you when the aircraft is registered.

I am thinking of just biting the bullet and pay as I go so it does not hurt as bad at the end!

We definitely do everything we can to keep prices as low as possible. We're not magicians, but we try to work as much magic as we can. For those parts that we make we can fairly well anticipate the future by negotiating contract pricing of materials, building and enhancing processes and infrastructure to become more efficient, and controlling our overall costs. We're far from perfect to be sure, but we've been relatively successful in making these sorts of changes over the past couple years. And we appreciate everyone who's stuck with us through it all!

Some of the third-party aircraft parts we include in our kits have been a real challenge lately - in terms of both availability and cost - to be sure. In the case of the 12iS powerplant kit, Rotax increased their engine price - the most substantial price increase they've had in a while. Rotax held the line pretty well with the cost of their engines the past few years, but exchange rates, materials, and labor all contributed to the latest price change. Other third-party components of the kit also went up in cost.

Also - and this may not be obvious at first glance, so I mention it here - as part of this price change we built the crating/handling charges into the price of the kit. So, the price increase isn't quite as painful if you compare the current kit price to the previous kit price plus crating fees. Hopefully that takes at least a little bit of the sting away. ;)

Again, we appreciate everyone building, dreaming and flying. We're working hard to here to maximize value for you and to get kits into your hands as soon as we can!

Dollar has strengthened by about 20% against the EURO since 2020 so shouldn't prices have gone down or at least offset Rotax's increase ?

Back