What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Light Speed and mag on IO360

JEG

Could someone give me Dan's e-mail address!!!! I would like to talk to him about running Light Speed and a mag on IO360, Happy New Year to all
John RV8 38GC / RV12 337JG

Dan C

Dan C has stated he would like to be left alone. He was a great resource, but is done and out of respect...I would hope all will find other people to help. Not sure what is going on with him...but...if someone asks for privacy and to be left alone...its only polite to oblige.

Cheers.

There are plenty of other folks running that combo that I'm sure would be more than happy to help.

Could someone give me Dan's e-mail address!!!! I would like to talk to him about running Light Speed and a mag on IO360, Happy New Year to all

I have retitled and moved your thread so it will be more likely to prompt answers to your ignition question.

I run a Plasma III and a mag on an IO-320. There shouldn't be any difference there as far as the ignition is concerned. My last plane had a II, but same arrangement. PM me if you want to talk.

Bill

I run a Plasma III and a mag on an IO-320. There shouldn't be any difference there as far as the ignition is concerned. My last plane had a II, but same arrangement. PM me if you want to talk.

Bill

Where have you timed the mag. I believe both these engines in stock form fire 25deg. btc. My engine is from a Mooney that only had one dual mag. I have had a Bendix mag modified to attach properly. John

Where have you timed the mag. I believe both these engines in stock form fire 25deg. btc. My engine is from a Mooney that only had one dual mag. I have had a Bendix mag modified to attach properly. John

Time the mag as if you had no electronic ignition. That was 25 BTDC on my first plane (normal compression); 20 BTDC on my current plane (high compression). There should be a data sheet for the engine that tells the correct setting.

In practice, most planes with a dual setup show little or no mag drop at runup when turning off the mag.

Time the mag as if you had no electronic ignition. That was 25 BTDC on my first plane (normal compression); 20 BTDC on my current plane (high compression). There should be a data sheet for the engine that tells the correct setting.

In practice, most planes with a dual setup show little or no mag drop at runup when turning off the mag.

Thanks for the input. Have a Happy New year

Yo, whatcha need? Happy with my Lightspeed Plasma II and Slick 4371 on my IO-360-A1B6. Coming up on 2000 hours, and I've been very, very happy with my powerplant config.

EDIT: Ok, not totally happy. There have been times when I've been frustrated with Slick's pricing of simple plastic parts. The mag is easy to maintain, and I like the EI+mag setup, it's just robbery that a few plastic parts cost $300. They try to twist your arm so that you just "throw away" the mag and trade the core in for new when you have simple issues with simple fixes. Their methodology makes sense. It's just frustrating, since I'm the type who wants to replace individual parts to keep the mag going strong, instead of just replacing the whole thing.

But anyway, in terms of the config...happy.

Last edited:
Back