What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When did you paint the interior - or not

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
I'm getting to the point where I think I need to start worrying about painting the interior. Or maybe I should have a bit ago. I've been priming the parts that require it, but generally after priming the tail, nothing else.

I'm putting in the seat back bracing and adjustment guides in my 14A and some of the parts would definitely look better installed after paint. I can always wait on some of it, but it got me starting to think about it. Seatback bracing, roll bar, etc, would look good painted. Did anyone not paint at this point and wait till later? Would obviously want to do it before too much went in, such as the panel. Did anyone not paint? Not sure that I would want that either, though.

This is one of those really tough calls for me and being in Chicago suburbs on the first of October, am concerned about temperatures. Also about keeping overspray out of my garage. Not thrilled about building a paint booth either.

It maybe just one of those things I need to embrace it, jump in and start. I've been banging rivets for a while now and it's easy to keep rolling along.

Now, what paint to use? arg.

Interior paint

I painted before assembly so the rivets would show. Took more brain cells than I had to keep track of what needed to be masked but it came out nice.
20160219_121513.jpg

I am going with a full interior from Classic Aero. I will have full carpet including baggage and side panels in the cockpit. I plan on painting only what shows. I am painting in stages and waiting to paint each stage as long as possible.
I painted the side panels by my feet before installing the rudder pedals. I am not painting the fire wall. I painted the canopy frame inside prior to the plexi going in.
I am currently installing avionics. Just before I started I painted the instrument panel sub structure that will be seen when the canopy is open. I plan on putting in the rear window, the canopy back on and painting the remainder of the interior as late as possible. It only has the potential to get scratched doing it too soon.

Last edited:
Currently working on my canopy. I don't plan to paint any of the interior, except for the panel, glare shield (I think it's called), and the "cap strip" that goes over the vertical portion of the center section on each side. I will eventually install some sort of upholstery kit. I live in AZ, so I didn't prime/paint much beyond the ribs in the wings & tail, a few in the fuselage, and the specific items required by the plans.

Ryan

Just Me

I painted interior before assembly, not because I wanted to show the rivets, but because I thought it would be very difficult to paint reasonable well once assembled; too many nooks and crannies.

I've struggled with the same thing. I actually did paint some of the forward cabin area. I also have the baggage area masked for painting. But... I keep finding things to do or add which I would want painted. I didn't want exposed rivets so I've been delaying. That approach definitely limits the sequence you can do things in. I haven't done my fluid lines yet since I wanted the painting done first. I have painted many of the parts like the covers outside already and have them stored away for later. Having said all of that I'm going to have to do it soon.

I painted right after the main structure was assembled (Emp, fuselage, seats) but before adding any wiring/rudders etc.

Scuffed the heck out of everything that would be painted, then washed with a weak etching solution/rinsed well, let air dry. Masked to cover the area aft of the rear bulkhead and firewall. All the main spar and anything already alodined by Vans was masked as well.

Contrary to the norm, I sprayed with two cans of self etching rattle can, then topcoat with two coats of Rustoleum Enamel (Gray, get it at HD), then splattered with white/black (like many aluminum fishing boat interiors are done). Looks great and has held up well to all the scuffing and scraping that happens as you complete assembly. And I swear you can't see anything that gets on that paint scheme.

About 6 hours of work start to finish. Did it all on the rotisserie with it poking poking out the side of my shop.

Attachments

• Fuseonrot.jpeg
    Fuseonrot.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 237
  • int.jpeg
    int.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 235
  • crossbar.jpeg
    crossbar.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 237
  • parts.jpeg
    parts.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 212
Wirejock—

There’s got to be a story about the pay phone?!

Back to the op,

I am currently painting interior. Spent last weekend masking. I’ve done quite a bit of hydro dipping on easy to remove parts.

Attachments

• 226E6AC5-73ED-4827-8530-A4C4F890C504.jpg
    226E6AC5-73ED-4827-8530-A4C4F890C504.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 2952930F-3833-4F4F-8395-028AD439B91B.jpg
    2952930F-3833-4F4F-8395-028AD439B91B.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 205
  • E1830098-E9FF-4D8F-B45A-05C14B97CDC6.jpg
    E1830098-E9FF-4D8F-B45A-05C14B97CDC6.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 195
Wirejock—

There’s got to be a story about the pay phone?!

Jay
Yes. I was a Telecom Manager so there are all sorts of antique phones in the house. I even have a set of railroad field phones functional between my garage and the living room. Several rotary dials. The pay phone works. It was willed from a relative. I did open it and make it funtional for him long ago.
And of course a restored Coke Machine full of $.25 beer.
20190920_135834.jpg

20201001_212802.jpg

20201001_213652.jpg

Is it possible to anodize the interior?

Would anodizing be a good idea?

Most do not recomend anodizing because it alters the metal making it brittle. However, the Aft Canopy decks are sometimes anodized because they are a high wear part.

don't over-think it

First of all, don't over-think it. You're not likely to get away without having to do multiple painting sessions or touch-ups, so I'd say if you think it's a good time then just forge ahead.

However before painting, do assemble everything, and make sure it all fits when it's all done together. I never had all the various panels and parts put together and screwed down at the same time until I went to do the final assembly before flying, which resulted in a frustrating last-minute session filing and drilling of my already painted parts where, for example, multiple layers didn't fit all together as they had when assembled separately. Also check butt-joints and make sure there's allowance for paint on the edges so it doesn't chip off when you install after painting.

And after paint, do it again. And again if there are other things changed or added. That way you won't be surprised and have to mess around with it when you are ready to do final assembly and go fly the thing (like I had to).

Thanks everyone. It doesn't seem so bleak now, the photos of the paint jobs you guys put up looked great. It looks like I can achieve a decent looking paint job without overdoing it. I'm not trying for Michelangelo, but would prefer to stay away from Picasso, or Earl Schieb, for that matter.

I think I'm going to uncleco the seat back bar that runs across the fuse, paint it and build on. I'll paint more as I go and I figure out how the interior is going to look. There are a few plastic parts that are riveted on and I wanted to make a decision before finishing that step. An alternative would be to not put them on now. If I skip a step or two I put a post it note tab on the build manual page and also a line item on a page of my spreadsheet of items go back and finish.

Not for nothing. But, I'm using SEM gray primer throughout as I assemble. The interior (cockpit and baggage) surfaces that will show will get a thin clear coat of Eastwood urethane matte finish for better durability. I will touch up everything with a small finish gun once the interior is completed.

I'm guessing it will take a fair amount of time to mask and prep for this evolution. I think I'm going to mount the "canoe" on a rotisserie to make this easier.

50394575883_e1388f73d1_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back