What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Position Sensor for Manual Elevator Trim?

Murf202

I'm looking for a few "real world" methods on how to mount and attach a position sensor to the manual elevator trim for my RV6A. The sensor will be tied to my Garmin G3X touch. I'm full of ideas, but I would love some feed back with actual examples. Thanks

I would think a Ray Allen POS-12 sensor would work, attached directly to the trim tab.

Last edited:
I have a Ray Allen sensor set up for my flaps in my -4 that I tied into the bellcrank under the floor via. R/C model pushrod and snap ends. I would think you could do something similar off the manual trim mechanism and locate the sensor nearly anywhere you want. The R/C model pushrods are super smooth, light and can nearly be tied in a knot.

I'm looking for a few "real world" methods on how to mount and attach a position sensor to the manual elevator trim for my RV6A. The sensor will be tied to my Garmin G3X touch. I'm full of ideas, but I would love some feed back with actual examples. Thanks

No ideas for a sensor but after you have flown your -6A a few times you won't need a sensor. You will instinctively know about how far out the manual knob needs to extend for takeoff and the RV will tell you when subsequent adjustments have the plane in trim. :)

I've flown my RV-6 with manual trim for 20 years and never had any need for a sensor.

No ideas for a sensor but after you have flown your -6A a few times you won't need a sensor. You will instinctively know about how far out the manual knob needs to extend for takeoff and the RV will tell you when subsequent adjustments have the plane in trim. :)

I've flown my RV-6 with manual trim for 20 years and never had any need for a sensor.

Expanding on this, you really only need to set the trim with an indicator before takeoff. At all other times, you use trim to minimize stick pressure.

On one of my RVs, forget which one, I would check the elevator trim position as part of the preflight to make sure that it was about right.

Neutral mark on trim knob shaft,

I just filed a small notch on the shaft and added a little white paint ---- neutral works good on my plane for takeoff, and a little nose down for cruise ---- I trim pretty far back on landing, unless I have someone else in the plane.

Ron

Trim Position

To supplement the information others have shared, here is some general installation information for position sensors to be integrated with the G3X Touch System:

In general, most potentiometer-type resistive position sensors can be used with the G3X system. Typically these sensors take the form of a 0?5kΩ or 0?10kΩ variable resistor. Electric trim motors with integrated position potentiometers do not require separate position sensors.

Each position sensor installation will vary widely according to the aircraft, motion being sensed, and mechanical installation. A standalone position sensor should ideally be mounted such that the full travel of the sensor is just slightly greater than the full travel of the control surface.

If you have any questions as you are integrating the position sensor into the G3X Touch system, please feel free to contact us directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

My takeoff setting is to have spacing about the length of my finger tip between the bottom of the knob and where the cable meets the panel. A little bit of trial and error provided this as the ideal setting.

Direct visual

I check the manual trim tab position by looking at it back over my shoulder, I know how much deflection to look for. Once in the air you don't need to look at it because you feel it in the stick, as others have said. In this "real world" method, the pilot is the sensor.

Last edited:

Another manual trip for over 20-years.

I scribed a line on the control shaft. I used that a few times during flight testing.

After about a year, I determined that the trim position I landed with was just about right for takeoff. IF the trim was moved on the ground, looking over my shoulder, I could see the trim tab and adjust it to neutral. In the past 20-years, I think that has been done once when incorporating a Service Bulletin in the tail and had the trim disconnected.

Back