What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Missing SV5 Whisper Flo Vent

Mikeandmaz

Hi All,

I?m on page 29-21 and step 4 and 9 require work on the SV5. I don?t have the SV5 vents on my shelves. They were not on the QB inventory, I?ve checked he lists three times. Any other QB fuselage builders have this omission? Is it a special order I missed?

Thanks
Mike

I don't think vents come with the slow- or quick-build RV-14(A) kits ... I had to order them separately. SV-5 is a plastic vent and lists for $22.50 ea. on Van's website. Many builders (including me) opt for SV-6, which is a superior aluminum vent that lists for $160 ea.

_Alex

Alex is correct: the plastic SV-5 called out in the plans is not included with the kit. Too many builders (including me!) were exchanging them for the superior aluminum version.

Get the nice ones and don't look back. You won't be done spending until you've sold the completed airplane at some point in the future. I'd say that you shouldn't let your wife hear that, but she already knows. They all do... :D

extra vents

I have some extras too. PM me if you want them for the cost of shipping.

When AFS made my QuickPanel, they said all their customers are going with better third-party vents. The Vans vents apparently tend to leak.

David

Me too

You know you are an RV builder if....
You have a set of plastic vents left over.

Vans actually stocks three vents, the standard ones we all have extras of, a 3d printed plastic set, and the really nice aluminum ones. You can probably guess which ones I am using. The aluminum ones come in black or clear anodizing.

Last edited:
You know you are an RV builder if....
You have a set of plastic vents left over.

Vans actually stocks three vents, the standard ones we all have extras of, a 3d printed plastic set, and the really nice aluminum ones. You can probably guess which ones I am using. The aluminum ones come in black or clear anodizing.

Actually I think the original standard vents were discontinued and are no longer available (the reason they are not included in the kit).
I think a replacement wasn't added so that people could chose what they preferred to use.

Thanks for all the kind offers but I think I’ll go with some of the better ones.

Has anyone put any of the other suppliers vents in? Steinair do some, any good?

Last edited:
ACS 3275

ACS 3275 LARGE SQUARE EYEBALL VENT works well, need to trim an ear. Still not cheap but worth it.

Actually I think the original standard vents were discontinued and are no longer available (the reason they are not included in the kit).
I think a replacement wasn't added so that people could chose what they preferred to use.

Scott is correct. I ordered my fuselage kit this week and asked to take out the vents. Anne replied that they don't supply them because they can't get them from their vendor any longer.

Thanks Scott!

Scott Hersha has sent us his extra vents. We really appreciate that he went out of his way. Here's a few pics of our 14 in progress.

Back