What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS430W Software Update

jgoehl

1. Can a Garmin GNS430W with 3.0 version be updated in the field to the latest 5 something, or does it have to back the factory.?

2.And what are the cost for it ?

Thanks,

My avionics guy (Louisiana Avionics, BTR) says they do software updates for the 430 in house, but I didn't ask about the price. John

Last edited:
1. No, it does not have to go back to Garmin.
2. Garmin provides the software for free to its dealers. What a dealer charges to load it into your box is up to them. If you are a good customer they might even do it for free. But it should not cost more than one hour of labor for standard upgrades.

It's a card that goes in the Nav data slot. When you turn on the 430 it will load in the update. The Garmin dealers get them and charge (Usually) to load the update in. If you have a friend at a Garmin shop they may lend it to you.

FWIW I had my G430W upgraded to the latest version (Radio and GPS) at Avionics Unlimited in Conroe (KCXO). It took them about 45 minutes total and cost me $50.00.

:cool:

Ditto my experience with Avionics Unlimited at KCXO. Friendly folks who know experimentals. A very modest charge ($50) to upgrade my GNS 430W.

CWM

Ditto my experience with Avionics Unlimited at KCXO. Friendly folks who know experimentals. A very modest charge ($50) to upgrade my GNS 430W.

CWM

I had bought my 430W thru them years ago so they did the update for free. Good folks!

Back