What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 vs Saber Tooth Tiger

ten4teg

Well Known Member
Here is a comparison I saw on the Grumman Gang:

Having flown both the 260 HP RV 10 and the 260 HP Saber Toothed Tiger I have some generalized comparisons for you.

The RV10 is perhaps around 20 mph faster in top speed 200 mph vs 180 mph but at gross weight lacks the elevator authority that the Tiger has during
landing. With 2 up front a little baggage many 10 pilots find the need for
ballast to get CG moved to a more comfortable location forward. Of course
this makes the plane heavier and the cost is speed. Many builders report
that they get around 184 mph and not the 200 mph the factory reports. Their 10's would be about the same speed as a Saber Toothed Tiger. The stall speed of the 10 is a few mph higher than the Tiger. The 10 flies very much like a Tiger but does not land quite as nicely, i.e. full stall landing are more difficult to maintain.. The climb rate is about the same and after more
flight time in the Sabertooth I may report that that the Sabertooth has a
better climb rate...

The 10 has a larger vert stab and rudder and this may have eliminated a need for the dorsal fin. The rudder size allows rudder authority during normal
taxi speeds so that on pavement you don't often need steer with the brakes.

The Sabertoothed TIger uses a lot of rudder with a full power takeoff while
the 10's bigger rudder takes much less rudder pedal travel. The Sabertooth
will wake up your legs soon as the throttle is pushed in...it's kind of fun
to actually need a rudder in a Tiger:)

Neither the 10 or Tiger need much rudder for making coordinated turns.

The 10 seems to have plenty of stability, even in the turbulance I flew it
thru, and doesn't "feel" like it needs a dorsal fin..... but then I never
flew a Tiger without a dorsal fin to have a comparison...Maybe we could get
Gary Vogt to try that while he has an experimental Tiger.......with that
really cool, go fast cowling....

The 10 is around 200lbs heavier empty than the Sabertooth, is noisier and
makes rattles that no grumman makes:) and the wings will never look as
smooth as a grumman with no rivets.

The 10 main gear will not likely be able to with stand being driven into the
wing and recover like the Tiger has sometimes demonstrated this ability....

The 10 wheel pants cover more of the wheel than the Certifieds do and
perhaps more than regs allow certs to cover..and the pressure recovery
affect is probably real....but that can be had on a Tiger now too thanks to
Gene Plazak STC'ing of the 10 pants for the grummans.

If the Sabertooth had the AA1 leading edge design it would likely be faster
than a 10. especially with the 10 wheelpants:)

I think the Sabertooth may be more fuel effeicent than the 10 at 75% power
settings.

Fred Kokoska has demonstrated that the Sabertoothed Tiger burns less fuel
than an O360 or IO360 Tiger/Cheetah. Flying the same speed along side those planes.

A 10 is easier to enter both front and back seats with a lower step over
than the Tiger and has much more cabin room but the grumman sliding canopy can't be beat for staying cool during taxi...and flight:)

I believe Maynard Crosby can speak much more technically about the dorsal
fin as he has a 180hp Yankee that I believe he has flown with and without
the dorsal fin.

In either case, with or without a dorsal fin. I expect you will never get
the Bonanza yaw sickness that a few grumman gangsters live with thinking
they have "upgraded" (what a myth!) by buying a V-tail Bonana:)

ten4teg said:
A 10 is easier to enter both front and back seats with a lower step over
than the Tiger and has much more cabin room but the grumman sliding canopy can't be beat for staying cool during taxi...and flight:)

:)
I have been flying a tiger for the past 2.5 years and I do love it but....
The 10 is a lot bigger inside. You can take four adults in a 10. You can ram four adults in a tiger but make sure they don't move. OOps they can't move! No room in the back!!!
What is the range of the sabertooth tiger? What is the cost?
If I didn't have as many children a sabertiger would be nice. The only thing I don't like about the Tiger I fly is the lack of HP.

I think a sabertooth tiger is what a lot of RVers want Vans to make into a kit. Fast like an RV but not as big as a 10. There have been a lot of people who want something a little bigger than a 6,7, or 9 but not as big as a 10.

"Stretch-9"

TSwezey said:
I think a sabertooth tiger is what a lot of RVers want Vans to make into a kit. Fast like an RV but not as big as a 10. There have been a lot of people who want something a little bigger than a 6,7, or 9 but not as big as a 10.
YUP - Sign me up for a "stretch-9". :) A little smaller than an RV-10; cheaper O-360 power; Overall less cost/time to build than a -10. I'd be ordering the tail-kit today! It would allow more flexibility to carry bulkier cargo or a couple kids, or maybe an extra adult.

DJ

Multiple STC?

It's been some time since I was active on the Grumman Gang, but I seem to remember that the Saber Tooth was a one-time STC, and wasn't available for anyone else to use....maybe that's changed....but if not, and you had to get your own STC approval, I bet the -10 would be cheaper...and you would never need an IA to do the annuals!

Two of my favorite GA planes. The 10 and a Tiger.

If Tigers had a turbo, like the one place Tornado Alley? has for a Cessna Cardinal, I would be all over it out here in Denver.

A stretched 9 would be prime!

I have brain stormed a wish list:

Have a 360, or even a 390 or non race IO-400 up front, with a possible turbo on them as well, for the thin air and speed. Faster wings like a Rocket. A little wider cockpit like a Ten and I would enjoy the ability to take a mountain bike or two in the back by removing the back seats.

So a 2+1 or 2+2, with a 200kt cruise, slow landing like all RVs and a Turbo to get over wx and mountains. Or get crazy like a Mooney Rocket/ Missile and have 230kt cruise. (I know gas being sucked out sound goes here).

From what I see and hear, it could be a niche market for Vans. Hello, anyone listening?

My RV10 cruises at 170-175 knots on 10.5 gal/hr or 195-200 mph. Top speed at 10,000 is 195 knots TAS or 224mph. I don't fly it there because it takes too much gas. I cruise at 21 inches MP and 2,300rpm which is 55% power. Climb rate is usually about 1,700 ft/min starting at 5,000 DA. I think the RV10 has enough elevator authority at the forward CG limit to make very nice landings and at typical loadings it is very easy to land smoothly. I think the performance numbers Van's provides are quite conservative. However they probably consider things like poor wheel pant alignment and prop choice when posting their numbers. The round com antennas have a lot of drag as well as cheap post antennas for the transponder and the ADSB. I kept my external antenna count as low as practical and used the lowest drag antennas I could find for those that had to be outside. A low drag airframe pays dividends every time you fly.

Last edited:
Tiger

Having received most of my primary training in the Grumman fleet, I would still pick the RV-10, without hesitation.

173 KTAS @ 10k on 10.5 gph...and able to comfortably carry more than a tiger. Don't forget the maintenance cost, either. Keeping a 40+ year old airplane safely flying is no small feat...

Since most of these posts are 15 years old: How many -10’s are now flying? How many 260 HP Tigers?

Last edited:
Back