What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleveland Brake Caliper - how does it go together?

Loman

Well Known Member
Try as I might, I could not find a clear photo of the Cleveland brake assembly. And as for Vans Drawing C2, well the less said about that the better.

Here is a photo of my two main gear legs, each with the lugs/sleeves on the Cleveland mounting flange mounted in a different direction.

2u6z8mo.jpg

The one on the right (the left hand gear leg) has the two lugs/sleeves of the Cleveland mounting flange facing inboard, away from the wheel and towards the main body of the caliper assembly. This has the advantage that the support for the caliper body seems to me to be better. However, the Cleveland flange does not lie very well against the U403 Vans flange because the chamfer on the Cleveland flange is facing the wrong way and the weld on the U403 gets in the way.

The gear leg on the left is assembled the other way around with the opposite advantages and disadvantages.

Which one is correct?

Supplementary question: I think the Cleveland flange is mounted on the wrong (inboard) side of the Vans U403 flange. Is this so? Surely there is huge interference with the 5/16ths washers if it is put on the other side?

I can't tell much from the photo, but ...

... it DID take a lot of staring at the Vans prints before I understood how all that went together. It is - for sure - not intuitively obvious. I think if you look at the prints a bit more and try flipping some parts around (i.e. aft to front, L to R, etc) , you'll figure it out. :)

Try as I might, I could not find a clear photo of the Cleveland brake assembly. And as for Vans Drawing C2, well the less said about that the better.

Here is a photo of my two main gear legs, each with the lugs/sleeves on the Cleveland mounting flange mounted in a different direction.

2u6z8mo.jpg

The one on the right (the left hand gear leg) has the two lugs/sleeves of the Cleveland mounting flange facing inboard, away from the wheel and towards the main body of the caliper assembly. This has the advantage that the support for the caliper body seems to me to be better. However, the Cleveland flange does not lie very well against the U403 Vans flange because the chamfer on the Cleveland flange is facing the wrong way and the weld on the U403 gets in the way.

The gear leg on the left is assembled the other way around with the opposite advantages and disadvantages.

Which one is correct?

Supplementary question: I think the Cleveland flange is mounted on the wrong (inboard) side of the Vans U403 flange. Is this so? Surely there is huge interference with the 5/16ths washers if it is put on the other side?

The one on the right is correct. But it doesn't look like it is clocked properly.

Still valuable!

This picture saved me 9 years later, putting back together something I didn't take apart! Shows the value of the forum to all! Guess that's my cue to remember to pay my dues!

Back