What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KitPlanes Magazine: Digital Edition Any Good?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I need to renew my Kitplanes Magazine Subscription. Living in South Africa the Digital Edition appeals to me, since I get it sooner, no 2 week waiting time for postage, lost mail, etc etc...

They do not have a sample to check out the digital format though...:confused:

Does anyone out here know if the Quality of the PDF format is just as good as the magazine format. Especially the pictures?

If you have a sample please send me a PrivateMail (PM).

Thank you,
Kind Regards
Rudi

Rudi,

I subscribe to the digitial version and I think it works just fine. The pdfs are just scanned images of the printed magazine.

Separate sections

The only downside, from my personal perspective, is that each section is separate, so you have to download them individually. Some people might like this, since it means you only need to download the stuff you want to read. I'd prefer the whole mag in one go. I'd also like it if they simply emailed the whole mag PDF'd and it just appeared in my Inbox each month. I've asked, but I don't think they'll do it. Shame; that would be real handy. I guess the way they have it now forces me to go to their website and view advertising and stuff. I still love the digital edition though and it is cheaper than having the paper mag reserved for me at the local store. Faster too. Thanks.

Kit Planes Suggestions

In case they may happen to read this thread:

1. I agree with the comment on one file (pdf). My opinion is the digital magazine should be built exactly like the paper version. Do the articles in word or some other word processor that can be taken to pdf, and then assemble the magazine in digital form (as pdf) as a single file. Then use the real advantages the electronic version gives, (links, search, etc).

2. I don't agree that the price is OK. The electronic version should be less than the paper version, as there is no printing and/or distribution.

An example of a GOOD digital magazine is www.homepower.com

Just my .02 worth,
bc

Just wondering

For those of you who get Kit Planes in the mail, does it survive the shipping okay? Mine used to come damaged every single time. Between my wife and I, we'd get 10-12 Mags a month, yet the KP was the only one damaged. Others were even printed on much lighter paper with no damage. I even called KP and pointed it out to them.

Just curious if it was just my postman or what. So frustrating, I didn't renew, and buy it at B & Noble now...that's $2 I could be putting towrds avionics every month! :(

Joe

Kit Plane Online subscription

I agree with the comment about the price. It is insane to think that the online version is more expensive. :eek: Additionally I would like to be able to have both. That would be worth the additional money. Despite that it is one of my favorite reads. Especially enjoyed Dan Checkoway's series on Riveting. Just my $.02.

jferraro16 said:
For those of you who get Kit Planes in the mail, does it survive the shipping okay? Mine used to come damaged every single time. Between my wife and I, we'd get 10-12 Mags a month, yet the KP was the only one damaged. Others were even printed on much lighter paper with no damage. I even called KP and pointed it out to them.

Just curious if it was just my postman or what. So frustrating, I didn't renew, and buy it at B & Noble now...that's $2 I could be putting towrds avionics every month! :(

Joe

I get Kitplanes and don't have any problems with delivery. Maybe one or two over 5 years, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Guys:

I really can't comment on the price structure of the digital version. In fact, it's a bit of an issue internally. Myself, I'd make it more affordable. But that's not my department. <weak grin>

As for the quality, these are not conventional scans of the printed magazine, but PDFs created from the page layout program, In Design. (We nixed Quark a year ago and haven't looked back.) So, depending upon the kind of day our printer is having, the PDFs might even look better than the printed version. You just never know.

--Marc @ Kitplanes

KPmarc said:
Guys:
<SNIP>
As for the quality, these are not conventional scans of the printed magazine, but PDFs created from the page layout program, In Design. (We nixed Quark a year ago and haven't looked back.) So, depending upon the kind of day our printer is having, the PDFs might even look better than the printed version. You just never know.
--Marc @ Kitplanes
Thanks for the feedback guys, but I like to view a sample....

Marc, OR anyone else that have access can you please email me a sample PDF of an article review in a recent Kitplanes. (Just click on my user name to get my email address or send me a PM)

Thanks
Rudi

Last edited:
Leonard_Smith_nz said:
All,

I use 'ConcatPDF' (freeware) to splice the pdf's together. Simple process...

You must have a lot of spare time.... go through several steps to download many articles, concatenate them in the right order, build one file..... and even then the nice features that could be there (links, search, etc.) are not there. All things easy to do once at the publisher by the publisher.

I suppose it's OK to do that, but my point is you should not have to do it. When you go into the newsstand, do you round up all the individual pages and bind them yourself to make up the magazine?

And then you are asked to pay twice as much or more, for the privelege of doing so.

Bill:

I honestly can't say why we decided to separate all the PDFs--it was a decision taken before my time. My guess is bandwidth.

Let me ask next week and see if it's possible to stitch the pages together into one massive document.

--Marc

old thread but useful update / news ...

With the recent RV-14 article and the anouncement of their new editor-in-chief, I was considering subscribing to Kitplanes.

I am long past subscribing to print magazines. they pile up and use a lot of paper and chemicals. I'm to the point where I have told AOPA and EAA to not send me the magazine unless I can sign up for an electronic version.

This brings me back to Kitplanes and this thread.

I contacted Kitplanes a few days ago asking if they have any random issue or even a sample of their digital edition. I wanted to evaluate it on my tablet to see if it was readable and easy to use. After a few exchanges I was told the person would check their management and get back to me.

The final answer was "you can subscribe and if you don't like it, you can cancel."

Sorry, I'm not inclined to go that route. I would have thought, since the digital edition was PDF, they could have sent me any random edition to try. If not that, then perhaps one of the promotional single-articles they did for a vendor. Perhaps there just is not enough call for the digital edition or they have plenty of subscribers. Either way, I can't say I am thrilled with the response.

Last edited:
Another gripe about Kitplanes...and Aviation Consumer too...is they don't do renewals too well at all online. Gee guys, it's the 21st century, I rarely pay any bills by mailed check anymore but your magazines insist that it be done that way.

Unfortunately, most magazines are like the USPS. They forgot to modernize and change with the times. Or maybe it's the printing industry. In the digital world anyone can publish, but when it comes to paper, only those with huge machine, lots of ink and paper to waste can.

Digital & on-line are much better. And you don't have to pay someone to haul it away for you. Save all that ink, paper, chemicals, gasoline to deliver, postage and use them/it for better things.

GH

yes, you can download in one PDF

Can you not do a single PDF version of the whole mag though?

Yes, you can download the entire magazine in one PDF. I do it every month and like it better since I can put it on my phone, laptop, or notebook. works easy as any other PDF.

Thouhts

Joe - I had the same problem a few years ago and so called and logged my frustration of receiving KP with torn/missing front/back pages. They said that they would mail mine in a better wrapper and since then, no problems.

I have been a subscriber for many years and like most of what is published. Since the "ask the DAR" articles and the high percentage of articles by Ironsides, the content is, in my opinion, pretty darn good and is useful to this beginner.

Other articles by contributors here on the VAF have been excellent also. Just hope that Ironsides doesn't burn out!!! Only those who have to produce such a written document monthly can really appreciate the 24/7 effort that is required. Been there/done that on a much smaller scale - glad it's over!

Like to see Amy Laborda sp? quit being so negative - she bugs me by her sorry attitude. I just skip her stuff.

Doug (Gray) - for non-subscribers, they see "To continue reading this entire article you must be a paid subscriber." on that link.

I came across a recent digital copy of Kitplanes. Here are a few observations...

• It's PDF so there is no option to change font size like with eBooks. That's not a deal breaker but I do hope the industry as a whole sees the advantages of the digital medium and takes advantage.
  • Kitplanes uses a 3-column layout for most articles. This makes it easy to read a single column on a screen as small as a smartphone. My guess is a full page on a "mini" tablet would be a challenge but on a full size tablet it is comfortable.
  • The content is pretty good. While some articles tread close to sounding like a vendor sponsored writeup, the authors are trying to stay on the consumer's side of that particular line. Other articles are completely absent of vendor association and are written as pure education - a nice touch.
  • The editor staff appear to work hard to have a consistent writing style to the entire edition. This is welcome. I've read some magazines that "print what they get" which may be fraught awkward sentences, grammar, and local colloquial phrases. As long as Kitplanes has more content than they have space to fill, I expect they will have no trouble maintaining their standard of writing.

My conclusion ? I'll give the digital edition of Kitplanes a try.

Last edited:
Since the "ask the DAR" articles and the high percentage of articles by Ironsides, the content is, in my opinion, pretty darn good and is useful to this beginner.

Ironsides? Who? Sounds like either a battleship or Raymond Burr, but that ain't Paul... ;)

Doug,
Your link worked fine - right to the download for the full magazine pdf. I am a digital subscriber - not print. I don't get a print copy - just the digital. It works great for me and I enjoy the magazine. The advantage is I never have to keep them in a neat pile on the coffee table.

All the editions are available to download in one PDF each, but perhaps this is only available if you have a subscription to the print edition. Test this link...

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/30_3/kit_bits/20708-1.html

If Marc is still listening...

This is about content, in both print & digital.

1st, the the good: The apparent move (at least in the plansbuilt issue) to put the buyer's guide on line instead of taking up 3/4 of the print magazine is a plus for those who who actually read the articles and have web access for the guide.

2nd, the bad. The guide (and occasionally, feature articles) has sometimes glaring impossibilities in the 'vendor supplied' info. Sometimes it's so bizarre that it's got to be typos by a non aviation clerical person. Even so, ethical journalism should drive higher quality in this area. After all, magazine purchasers are paying for this advice, whether you could get sued over it or not.

A recent example: Plansbuilt guide in Jan issue, page 26: one of the featured models is an open cockpit parasol with Cub style gear. The engine is listed as a Continental C-85 with 180 HP. Cruise is 160 with a stall of 50. Max speed is 200 & climb rate is 3500 fpm.

Really? :)

I know that it's virtually impossible to do a sanity check on every single entry, but to single this out as a featured entry & not even look at the specs?

So...complaints should be followed by constructive suggestions.

Have you considered trying some sort of crowd sourcing to review your guides before publication? I'm sure you could round up enough semi-qualified volunteers to red-flag really obvious stuff like the example above.

Charlie

This is about content, in both print & digital.

1st, the the good: The apparent move (at least in the plansbuilt issue) to put the buyer's guide on line instead of taking up 3/4 of the print magazine is a plus for those who who actually read the articles and have web access for the guide.

2nd, the bad. The guide (and occasionally, feature articles) has sometimes glaring impossibilities in the 'vendor supplied' info. Sometimes it's so bizarre that it's got to be typos by a non aviation clerical person. Even so, ethical journalism should drive higher quality in this area. After all, magazine purchasers are paying for this advice, whether you could get sued over it or not.

A recent example: Plansbuilt guide in Jan issue, page 26: one of the featured models is an open cockpit parasol with Cub style gear. The engine is listed as a Continental C-85 with 180 HP. Cruise is 160 with a stall of 50. Max speed is 200 & climb rate is 3500 fpm.

Really? :)

I know that it's virtually impossible to do a sanity check on every single entry, but to single this out as a featured entry & not even look at the specs?

So...complaints should be followed by constructive suggestions.

Have you considered trying some sort of crowd sourcing to review your guides before publication? I'm sure you could round up enough semi-qualified volunteers to red-flag really obvious stuff like the example above.

Charlie

I'm sure Marc is still listening, but he's not been the editor for some time...in fact the "NEW" editor that started this month is one of our very own RV guys, and I can tell you with some certainty that HE is listening; or at least his post count says he is! Crowd Sourcing things with aviation is really difficult, as soon as things start getting done by committee, you end up with almost "analysis paralysis". Not saying it's a bad idea, just that my experience is that it's very difficult to pull off in a timely fashion.

I'll let the new Editor check in to this thread and not speak for him, but suffice to say that we all know he's truly an RV and Homebuilt guy in every way and this should be a good move for all of us and the magazine!

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

if you want something to change, get involved.

I may never reach the professionalism in journalism needed to get published but I suspect, someday, I'll have a topic of which I am sufficiently knowledgable and for which i am more than a little passionate. On that day, I'll throw my hat in the ring and my common sense to the wind ... and I'll submit an article for consideration. It may be Kitplanes, the Flying Wire, Flight Safety, or some other periodical.

Yes, you can download the entire magazine in one PDF. I do it every month and like it better since I can put it on my phone, laptop, or notebook. works easy as any other PDF.

I'll tell you a secret - that's how I have been reading KP for a couple of years now - download the whole PDF and scroll through it on the computer. I've been reading in my new Ipad the past couple of months now, and find that really convenient. I like "whole magazine" PDF's, because I can read them without being connected to the 'net, wherever I am (once they are downloaded of course).

And at KP, I am always looking for good new writers - especially if they have something to say and knowledge to back it up.

Paul

And at KP said:
Paul, my son is an AH-64D pilot for the Army. We were with him and his family last week in Hawaii. He is really interested in learning about my RV-9A build and we got the chance to work together on it last summer.

We were talking and he told me the pilot "creed", "Once there was a pilot that wasn't full of BS, but it was just that one time and it was a long time ago". It does make for some real good stories. It is just getting them to write them down!

Best of luck with your new project. I look forward to reading my Kitplanes mag each month. On the flight home from Hawaii, I was able to read the latest issue with the 14 on the cover and re-read a few others. Im sure it will even be better!

For those of you without a current subscription to Kitplanes, check out the web version of a Kitplanes article here:
https://www.kitplanes.com/vans-rv-14/

Starting with the March 2013 web issue, we're including larger images in the stories and bonus galleries if extra photos are available. Click on the photos and you can see more detail in these large images than you can in the downloadable PDF and in many cases more detail than in the printed magazine.

Paul Dye has teamed up with Paul Bertorelli of AVweb to produce several videos at Sun 'n Fun, and because they didn't involve as much editing as our previous videos, we were able to post more videos, and do it faster. Videos can be viewed on the Kitplanes website.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Back