What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport with campimg

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
It is a long hall from WA and I wondered if there is an airport within 2-3 hours of OSH that allows camping at the airport. I am planning a Sunday mornng arrival.

Cheers

You may want to contact some FBO's along your route.

Since Osh is a 6 hour flight from Florida, I fly half way friday evening and stop in after the FBO closes. It's also my fuel stop.
The manager leaves me the key code & the courtesy car key. Then, I camp inside the FBO using my thermarest & sleeping bag.

That way, I get an early start for a Saturday morning arrival. I'm gone before the FBO opens.

Last edited:
Good idea

You may want to contact some FBO's along your route.

Since Osh is a 6 hour flight from Florida, I fly half way friday evening and stop in after the FBO closes.
The manager leaves me the key code & the courtesy car key. Then, I camp inside the FBO using my thermarest & sleeping bag.

That way, I get an early start for a Saturday morning arrival.

I had to do that on my way home from SnF, had to stay the night an hour from home due to weather.

I was hoping for something of a sure thing. Not sure many FBOs allow squatters. I will just have to make some calls.

Cheers

KLCG, Wayne, NB has a campsite on field. Very nice newer facilities, and it should easily be within 3 hours in an RV. Great fuel prices during OSH season, too.

Dint know this

The AOPA directory lists airfields where you can camp on the field.

Put "camping" in the search query and select a state.

It found 14 in South Dakota.

I never thought to use the directory.

I just found out an airport north of Minniappolos I had to drop into 3 years ago on my way to OSH has camping. Nothing there that year said anything about it or a guy I met there. He was nice enough to dive me to a hotel.

Thanks
Cheers

Hey Dan , you're welcome to make an overnight at Taylorsville, on our grass field if you ever need a stop around North West Ga. There s a recliner and sofa with A/C but fuel is at 4A4 or VPC FBO. But do have JD Gator for a trip to the Pizza place.

Remember the time change and winds. I have made it from roughly where you are to Osh in one day (I don't recommend it). I had to wait out the airshow at Dodge cnty, but made it none the less. Making it back home in one day is nearly impossible due to the typical unfavorable winds, so plan your return trip camping spot too. Three Forks had a very nice pilot lounge and sleeper and there is also plenty of nice grass. They allowed camping, cheap fuel, etc... This gets you to about three hours from home on your return trip.
Good luck and have fun.

I had to do that on my way home from SnF, had to stay the night an hour from home due to weather.

I was hoping for something of a sure thing. Not sure many FBOs allow squatters. I will just have to make some calls.

Cheers

I'm not really a squatter.
The 2 FBOs I contacted were ok with it. They just told me not to let anyone else inside.

Hey Dan , you're welcome to make an overnight at Taylorsville, on our grass field if you ever need a stop around North West Ga. There s a recliner and sofa with A/C but fuel is at 4A4 or VPC FBO. But do have JD Gator for a trip to the Pizza place.

Thanks Dennis. I'll keep that in mind if I get out of here late or WX.
I was hoping to go into BGF in TN. I'd like a short run to OSH to get in before the mass arrivals @ 1100 and 1300

D32 Starbuck, MN

Two weeks ago I camped here. One block to beach on Lake Minnewaska and another 50 steps to Waters Edge bar and restaurant for some local Walleye. Can come in there by boat too. Everything in town is walking distance too. The runway is well manicured grass and the FBO has showers too. Will have to go 5 mins. To Glenwood for Fuel or Alexandria is nearby too KAXN, (where I grew up.)

2lwk67d.jpg

2nq70hy.jpg

Last edited:
Back