What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tooling Question

Gear

This is my first thread. The information has been unbelievable on this site and I appreciate everyone who takes the time to share.

My cousin and I are going to build a RV-7a. We've ordered/received the preview plans and practice kits. I've been chasing used tool kits for sale, but seem to be half a step too slow so far. ;-)

My question is since we're going to be building together, is most of the building a two-person job? Should we double up on certain tools so we can be more effective with our time, or is there enough to do that a single set of tools will be enough?

Thanks again.

I'll wait for Mike for obligatory welcome.....

Many of us built our airplanes largely by ourselves. Two people will make it go faster for sure but I would guess you will rarely run into conflicts of needing the same tool at the same time if you plan it out. There is so much to do....
I could see having two drills and cleko pliers.

Welcome to VAF!

This is my first thread.

Chris,
welcome.gif
to VAF.

I'll wait for Mike for obligatory welcome.....

Thanks Jon-----:D

...is most of the building a two-person job? Should we double up on certain tools so we can be more effective with our time, or is there enough to do that a single set of tools will be enough?

Most of the jobs are one-person jobs, and for the suitably skilled and motivated, there is no part of the RV that cannot be done alone. But it just goes faster and easier with two, and there is a lot of it where having two builders makes it a vast amount easier. For most of those jobs, though, you'd be using different tools--for example, riveting the wing skins, where one of you would wield the rivet gun and the other would hold the bucking bar.

I would suggest just getting one each of the pricy things (rivet gun, squeezers pneumatic and manual, air drill, dimpling frame, etc), but double up on common hand tools like wrenches, nutdrivers, files, and cleco pliers.

In fact, get three sets of cleco pliers so you can lose one and still have one at hand for each of you. The most hated and feared instructions in the Van's books all start with the word "Disassemble," and most of the time the thing you are disassembling is held together with clecos.

Thanks, Bob K.

The most hated and feared instructions in the Van's books all start with the word "Disassemble,"
Thanks, Bob K.

Close---------de-burr is really the most hated and feared instruction;)

And, it is a job that can be split up for two of you to do together.

The most hated and feared instructions in the Van's books all start with the word "Disassemble," and most of the time the thing you are disassembling is held together with clecos.
Thanks, Bob K.

...and just when it starts looking like something....

Besides cleco pliers, the only other thing you might double up on is speed handles for the deburring tools.

It's easy to waste a lot of time changing drill bits and this will be increased with two of you working. So I've got 3 drills, one for #40, one for #30 and one for anything else.

Dave

I'd get one of each tool, but two Cleco pliers, then start working on the kit and see what tools you both end up wanting to use at the same time. My guess is it will probably be debarring tools for holes and the edges of skins and spars. A second drill might also come in handy.

The important thing is not to fret about the tool details, but just get started. It is a long journey. Get that empennage kit ordered now.

Welcome

Welcome Chris. Great choice.:D
Not much to add. Like others said, most operations are solo but two makes things faster.
Like endless deburring:eek:
Two builders are great for lots of operations like riveting skins on wings and fuse.
Two drills...yep but make one a nice high speed 1/4 and the other a good cordless.
Two cleko pliers...yep. maybe three. They grow legs and walk to the last place you look.
Two speed debur tools...yep. Get the one with the extension.
Tungsten...yep. get at least one. Two or more different sizes is a blessing.

Scott is right

Lots of great advice here. What I found is that how you think you will build and how you actually build are often different. (Just refer to my blog....I thought I was going to do much of my non-dirty work in the basement....NOPE) I'm 100% in the garage and kicked the wife's car outside.

Scott Card is right. Tools is one of those things that you will learn as you go... Getting tools is as fun as building!:D Check out Wirejock's (Larry's) stuff for his homemade tools. I think those are more valuable than tools you can purchase.

Just get started and you will figure it out. Start with the basics and go from there. I bought tools thinking i'd need em and don't and I have tools I wished I bought more of. If you can, see if there are local builders you can befriend and try their tools as It will help you figure out what you like.

Air hoses

I agree with all the suggestions so far, but one thing I did not see is many air hoses. They can be short, but it's nice to have one at each work bench or work station. I ran the hoses behind the workbenches to a splitter, then one to each area. A long one or two to go everywhere else.

Get started ASAP, and you'll know what else you need by the weekend:D

looking back......

I think I would invest in two drills, one straight and one angle. I bought a used set of bucking bars and in places you will use all kinds, the best is my Tungsten bar... i would not EVER let that baby go.

otherwise my two bits is no i would double on other that these and the clecoes

Just enough is OK, more tools is better.

...My question is since we're going to be building together, is most of the building a two-person job? Should we double up on certain tools so we can be more effective with our time, or is there enough to do that a single set of tools will be enough?

One thing to consider is that even when working alone you may benefit from having more than one of certain tools. For example, I like having two cleco pliers. One to misplace, and one more to use when I need them ;)

3 CS cages

Similar to David's comment about the drills I have the same setup for my CS cages. A #40 and #30 that I set and leave alone. I verify that things are good before I use them, but this way I don't have to reset the proper depth each time I swap sizes. The third CS cage gets reset a lot as I'm swapping for the odd ball screw, pull rivet, etc.

A drill for each size #30 and #40 is nice. Make one a palm drill.
A slow cordless drill for countersinking.
And my favorite, they are not cheap, but a Nova 90 degree angle drill is invaluable.
Also a spring loaded center punch, and as others have said, one speed deburrer for each person, and 3-4 cleco pliers.
One rivet gun should be enough, get a 3x.

Multiple drills is a good thing, and lightweight if you can (love the Ryobi). Experience has taught us that having multiple batteries for said drill(s) is critical. Nothing like getting three holes from the end of countersinking whatever essential part in prep for riveting and having the drill go dead with no backup. Beer break!

... Two people will make it go faster for sure but I would guess you will rarely run into conflicts of needing the same tool at the same time if you plan it out. There is so much to do....
I could see having two drills and cleko pliers.

Zackly. 95% of my build was solo, but having two good air drills, plus a battery-powered one, was VERY handy for me. And 2 or 3 cleco pliers is a must. My other "double down" was open end and box end wrenches in 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2". The two air drills let you keep a drill bit in one and a deburring tool in the other. Wow, does that save time!

Back