What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hill country airports hangar ??

cawmd82

Well Known Member
I am looking for a hanger that can have an apartment built in if it is not already there at a decent paved strip in the west of Austin -S.A. area. Prefer within 1 hour of Austin and in reasonable proximity to one of the lakes.

Suggestions?????????????????

Contacts?????????????????????

cawmd82 said:
I am looking for a hanger that can have an apartment built in if it is not already there at a decent paved strip in the west of Austin -S.A. area. Prefer within 1 hour of Austin and in reasonable proximity to one of the lakes.

Suggestions?????????????????

Contacts?????????????????????

Spicewood, TX (88R)
http://lakefriends.com/Spicewood_Airport/spicewood_airport.html

Here is mine but apartment is not built yet. It will be on the 20x60 loft at the upper back.

P1010021Q.jpg

Drive time

Pretty much drive time....I have looked around at Lago Vista---I used to have a Fouga jet that came from there. I am sure there are plenty of others I just have not found....thanks

I am not an expert in "west of Austin" but if you head west on Hwy 71, I believe the choices are Lakeway, Spicewood, Horseshoe Bay (you are about at 1 hour drive here), then you get into Sunrise Beach, Kingsland Estates, Shirley Williams (these 3 private and/or dirt/grass??) and then finally Llano at pretty far out.

I'm not sure how many of these are Airparks and allow apartments, but I believe those are the prospects. Skipping Lago Vista as you mentioned that one.

Last edited:
Thanks

I looked around Burnet, Llano and Kingsland last weekend, maybe get to Horseshoe next trip. What is going on to the south around Canyon Lake or ??I think I heard there was another new development that direction?

The Enclave

cawmd82 said:
I looked around Burnet, Llano and Kingsland last weekend, maybe get to Horseshoe next trip. What is going on to the south around Canyon Lake or ??I think I heard there was another new development that direction?

I looked into the new development at Canyon Lake last winter. They are looking at about a quarter million for runway lots, and it will be a VERY upscale community - I doubt they'd do hangar homes. I bought at Kestrel (281 and 46) and they don't allow hangar homes either, but at least they already haves homes, roads, etc....the Canyon Lake place (I think it is called "the Enclave") is just a beat up old runway, a house trailer for a sales office, and a lot of stakes out in the area where they plan to build roads.

Golly, that sounded negative - sorry! I am actually quite certain that with land prices in the Hills the way they are, they are going to sell it out, and it will be a beautiful place - but it'll be out of a retired civil servant's price range.... :(

Paul

Last edited:
Try Lago Vista???

Lago Vista is roughly 20 miles from Austin, a few people have built apartments in thier hangers. Paved runways and taxiways, some small jet traffic, fuel, 1.5 miles from the lake, cool paint shop 5 minutes away :cool: LOL
Rusty Allen airport (5R3)
There may be a couple hangers for rent at 77t soon, no living on the feild is allowed tho... grass feild, light traffic lots of hook ups for builder assistance and really really close to a cool paint shop :D
Good luck man
painterjohn

Hill country airports-hangers

West of Austin? Paved? That is a hard one.

Native Austinite myself and I had been looking for the same. I gave up and went further west 2 Years ago and I found a nice 3800' paved lighted airstrip, in a gated community. I purchased a 4 acre lot on the airfield. It is located outside of Fredricksburg about and hour and 1/2, to 2 hours west of Austin. It is now sold out. I noticed a resale (40 acre lot) on the internet the other day.

www.silverwingsfly.com

Spicewood is just about it. (paved 1 hour from Austin and allows a hanger apartment) I do not know if they have any lots left. I gave up the hunt in the Austin area, and besides Austin is just getting to big for me. (If we could just turn the clock back to the mid 70s before Michael Dell brought all the high techies in..)

I know of a 1900' gravel strip 5 miles south of San Marcos. The owner is interested in selling hanger home lots. 7TS2 it is listed as a 1300 foot strip, but was just increased to 1900.

There are some grass strips that have home sites around Austin. Most of these have restrictions for 75%masonry homes with hangers. Not hanger apartments.

Lakeway 3R9 might have some home sites on the resale side. Do not know if they would allow a hanger apartment.

Same with 4XS7 Horse Shoe Bay they had a landing fee.

Cross Country Estates 07TS is turf

Breakaway Park 40XS they might have paved this one but it was turf the last time I was there. Residential with home sites, no known hanger apartments.

Sunrise Beach 2KL turf no lots for sale on the strip when I was up there a couple of years ago, could be some resales now.

Lago Vista 5R3. Confussing on the Hanger Apartments. I know of some but, I was told that the other lots for sale restricted against it. and did not see any that were forsale when I was looking.

I recently learned of a new airstrip community out of San Antonio in Comfort Texas, looks nice but it looks restricted to homes with hangers.

www.comfortfalls.com

I have been trying to get my brother who is in commercial Real Estate to develop a nice strip west of Austin, but he says something about having to have lots and lots of money to get it going...with the real estate prices around here.

G. Moore
c177tx waiting for the RV12
www.silverwingsfly.com

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the summary. What is the deal at Horseshoe with the fees?

At least it appears that I have not overlooked anything obvious....

We'll see.....

I believe it is a way to keep the rift raft out.. they like to sell Kerosene and small GA gets sucked up into the intakes

Parts on the field

c177tx said:
I recently learned of a new airstrip community out of San Antonio in Comfort Texas, looks nice but it looks restricted to homes with hangers.

www.comfortfalls.com

G. Moore
c177tx waiting for the RV12
www.silverwingsfly.com

This one is being developed by David Fletcher who is the premier Grumman parts supplier. They recently moved from Hobby Airport in Houston.

http://www.fletchair.com/

I doubt they would allow hangar/apartments, but you never know.

At least you would have a large aviation parts facility and mechanics right on the field.... :)

gil in Tucson

Back