What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7" G3X Touch

SteinAir

Well Known Member
For those who've been waiting, I just had to take one of these out of the box to play with. Here's a couple quick/crummy cell phone pics - apologies in advance for the grainy and somewhat off color pictures, but that's what you get with a handicapped picture taking finger (I'm sure Garmin can provide some better pictures taken with an actual camera later). Yes, this is destined for one of you here on this forum!

There is obviously a myriad of ways to configure the screen, I'm sure someone from Garmin will explain more...I didn't want to get too many finger prints on this nice new box so I didn't get to play with it too long just yet.

Cheers,
Stein

g3x75.jpg
g3x76.jpg

g3x77.jpg
g3x78.jpg

g3x73.jpg
g3x71.jpg

Which manual do I look in to see any restrictions the 7" has over the 10.6" screen? I've got a severely restricted panel and wondering if a single 7" G3X Touch would be okay. I've used a 6.5" GRT SX in a previous project and it was fine.

I'd like to find full resolution screenshots of various screens that I could put on a Nexus 7" to check out feasibility.

==
Michael

Which manual do I look in to see any restrictions the 7" has over the 10.6" screen? I've got a severely restricted panel and wondering if a single 7" G3X Touch would be okay. I've used a 6.5" GRT SX in a previous project and it was fine.

I'd like to find full resolution screenshots of various screens that I could put on a Nexus 7" to check out feasibility.

==
Michael

Hello Michael,

When we started designing the user interface for the new GDU 450/455 7" landscape touch screen displays we certainly found it challenging to support all of capabilities of a single 7" portrait G3X GDU 370/375 display, but are pretty pleased with the result.

The ability to touch the small PFD or MFD inset window in the upper left of the display and select that function to the large window allows you to optimize the single display for the phase of flight.

I have flown quite a bit of cross country in my home built with a single GDU 455 display. I takeoff and land with the large PFD window where the airspeed tape is easiest to read, and then switch to the large MFD window when flying autopilot coupled cross country, where I mostly want to see the map with flight plan line, nearby airports, traffic and weather.

Please email us and let us know which images you need, and we will make sure you receive them.

Thanks,
Steve

Im curious if there are there any differences in capabilities between the two? Not a resolution question, but what can be displayed is what I am asking. Thanks in advance!

Im curious if there are there any differences in capabilities between the two? Not a resolution question, but what can be displayed is what I am asking. Thanks in advance!

Hello David,

I don't think there are any differences in capabilities, but if you have something in mind that you want us to check, just let us know.

We added a new feature in V2.90 for those using the 7" GDU 450/455 as a MFD who want to sometimes use it as a PFD.

From the Setup, Display screen you can choose to show a touch key in the upper left that lets you quickly toggle the entire display from MFD to PFD format and back. This is really handy if someone sitting in the right hand seat wants to fly with a PFD and even use the touchscreen autopilot control page.

When using the PFD mode on the 7" MFD in a dual ADAHRS installation, you can also choose the ADAHRS used by each PFD which allows you to easily compare the two ADAHRS sources side-by-side.

Thanks,
Steve

Stein
It is amazing the pace of innovation and new product introductions. Since I finished my plane 1.5 years ago I believe this is the third generation of g3x products. Good thing I am happy with generation 1. Garmin does make quality products.

Many thanks Steve! The main thing I was curious about was if the presentation of the interface and format was the same? I realize that with a delta of 3 inches accommodations may have had to been made like the inability to put a full alphanumeric without cropping it, etc... just was curious. Thanks again!

Back