What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Braal Tach

lonfast

I'm New Here
After seven years down time on my RV-4, I'm trying to get her flying again. I've lost/misplaced the connector from the optical detector of my Braal Tach. The display connector is intact with six pins,all from white wires. I have no clue as to where the detector multiple wires,red,black,white and shield,should connect to the display connection. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or knowledge of how to make this connection?

Document

lonfast said:
After seven years down time on my RV-4, I'm trying to get her flying again. I've lost/misplaced the connector from the optical detector of my Braal Tach. The display connector is intact with six pins,all from white wires. I have no clue as to where the detector multiple wires,red,black,white and shield,should connect to the display connection. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or knowledge of how to make this connection?

I have a pdf that I made to document the Braal Tach I have. I can email it or ?.

PS: Just noticed my .pdf is 8 MB; so I'll reduce it down in size and them email it to you.

PSS: Emailed it.

Last edited:
Bill C

Thanks for the quick reply. I have the paper work you sent, but am I blind to the answer?
I got the 3 wires (red, black and red) and a shield coming from the detector with no connector. I have a 6 pin connector on the indicator side,all wires are white. I have no idea how to set up the pins in a connector on the detector side, since I can't figure which wire goes to which pin.
If someone had their RV in such a condition that they could easily see the connection and pass on that info, I'd appreciate it.

Cliff

I finished my work late and could only do a cursory glance before my lantern battery ran down. What I believe I saw was the 6 white wires coming out of the tach display to a 3x2 pin nylon connector. Along one edge of 3 pins were black, red, white. It seemed like the shield was just grounded but need to move other wires to get a clear view. The mirror also reverses things.

Is this what yours is? If so I should be able to send a drawing tomorrow.

Last edited:
First off, I appreciate the time and effort you're going through to help out.
Yes a drawing would be perfect. I'll be gone till next Tuesday (#11 grandchild)

Found it! For anyone else that needs the pin arrangement on a Braal tach it is as follows,,,looking at the indicator connector,with the horizontal alignment space high in the center,left side,top to bottom,it's black,red,white,,,right side top to bottom it's grd,power,shield. So the crossover,on indicator side goes from black on left to shield on right.

Back