What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12is Airplane camping.

Kmdpilot

The specs look nice on the RV12IS. I see lots of people taking off and landing on grass strips in them. What are your thoughts on airplane camping? Like Johnson Creek, Cavanaugh Bay, etc? Could I load 2 adults (185# each) and super light weight gear? Would the light plane get tossed around in the mountains making landing difficult? I like the plane. The super light weight of it makes me feel like I will get tossed all over the place.

Get proficient in mountain flying before you head up there. You'll need that knowledge and skill to help maximize the airplane's capabilities.

Dave

It’s very doable

I’ve camped at both those places in my 12. I have about 560 pounds of useful load, that allows plenty for camping gear. Early morning arrival and departure is a big help with density altitude & winds. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, table and chair, personal gear, and still well under gross.

I’ve camped at both those places in my 12. I have about 560 pounds of useful load, that allows plenty for camping gear. Early morning arrival and departure is a big help with density altitude & winds. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, table and chair, personal gear, and still well under gross.

Early morning is key around here. Many mountain flying pilot will not fly past noon. Mornings are generally pretty smooth.

Back