What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing velcro sticker "goo"

SPX

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I would like to change out the velcro that's holding on the front of my
Koger sunshade. Many of the tiny stickers of velcro on the top of the canopy are peeling off, and leaving behind a very sticky mess on the canopy.

Before using anything to try to remove the goo, I wanted to check to see if anyone has had success (removing the mess, and not damaging the canopy), or failures with something similar?

Be sure to test first, but orange oil is the bomb-dot-com to remove sticker goo. Initially cleaned the canopy with it (now, Prist) and got off all the dried on masking tape junk and anything else...

In my case the canopy manufacturer had me use mineral spirits to remove glue residue from clear packing tape. Was a bit of work to get off but was not overly aggressive. Worked fine.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll get working on this and report back.

Varsol!

The best method I have come across for removing goo and aged tape adhesive from plexiglass is to use Varsol or any mineral spirit and a soft cloth. These products are petroleum distillates along with lighter fluid, Goo Gone, and even Pledge. Varsol is a whole lot cheaper because it does not contain perfumes or colours.
Prior to using any solvents on plexiglass, trying removing the residue with fresh tape. Rub the new tape onto the adhesive and try slowly pulling it off. If this doesn’t work you will need to use a solvent to soften the adhesive. Old hard adhesive needs a little extra attention. Place a Varsol soaked piece of paper towel over the adhesive and then place Saran Wrap or any other plastic over the paper towel. The plastic will prevent evaporation. After about an hour, the aged adhesive should soften adequately to remove with Varsol and a soft cloth but I prefer to use washed terry cloth towels. I try to stay away from paper towels because they will produce very minute scratches. I also do not like Micro Fiber towels. They are soft, however place the cloths on a work bench or drop them on the floor and those micro fibers will collect metal shavings, grit, and other scratch producing items which will scratch your beautiful clear canopy or windshield. To be safe, keep Micro Fiber away from plexiglass.
Also, always, always test the solvent in an inconspicuous place before cleaning your plexiglass. Better safe than sorry. I once found lacquer thinner in a bottle labeled Mineral Spirits. Good luck.

I thought goo gone was citrous based. But that was based on the fact that it smells like oranges.

I was at an airfield once and this guy bought an older rv6. He had never owned an airplane. He decided he would make his new baby sparkle and cleaned the canopy with windex. It was all crazed. Terrible. I must have cried, but he just didn’t know. Neither did I. But that lesson stuck with me. Poor guy. Not a builder so not prepared fir the rigours of a canopy replacement. Not an easy job for a non hands on type person.

My big fear is that somebody comes along and decides to clean my canopy to “help”. Keep your windex hidden or hooked up to 220 volts.

Isn’t goo gone citrus based? It sure smells like it is. I have used it to get sticker goo off airplane parts and it has worked well. I’ve used it on canopy goo, but I wash it right away afterwards with soap and water, so I don’t know what the effect is if you don’t wash off the goo gone.

Read the ingredients label

The original Goo Gone contains petroleum distillates. There are other Goo Gone variants out there such as Goo Gone Gel but I am not familiar with these. Read the label on the back. It will list the chemical contents. As I said before, use Varsol or mineral spirits. It’s nothing more than petroleum distillates and far cheaper than Goo Gone and no perfume.

I went out to the hangar this afternoon, armed with a can of Bestine Solvent and Thinner, and some rags. With a light coating of the solvent on the rag, I began to rub the goo, and slowly but surely, the goo came off.

If I had to do it again, I'd recommend Bestine solvent and thinner for the job.

I went out to the hangar this afternoon, armed with a can of Bestine Solvent and Thinner, and some rags. With a light coating of the solvent on the rag, I began to rub the goo, and slowly but surely, the goo came off.

If I had to do it again, I'd recommend Bestine solvent and thinner for the job.

What surface were you cleaning the goo off of?

Use cloth duck tape- no chemicals

Just use the cloth duck tape. Press it on and take it off at an angle a few times. Best way to remove goo or sticky from anything.

The best product by far for removing such "goo" on perspex is eucalyptus oil. It will also get dried up masking tape and the likes off as well.

Naturally it works on all surfaces but eucalyptus oil is especially kind to plastics.

Back