What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What VFR GPS to Buy

514S

Looking for some feedback and experiences with the King KMD-150 and Garmin 496 units. Any recommendations which one to buy?

Well, I've had the 496 for about 5 months now and think it's the absolute cat's @ss. Completely impressed and use it as much in the car as in the plane (search for nearest BBQ, stuff like that...).

I have both the KMD150 and the 496 and can't imagine giving up either one, they are really different animals though. The 150 makes navigation in the class B a breeze and from strictly a navigation point of view I prefer the 150. The 496 is the brains of the operation, it gives you so much more other info that I use it constantly to keep up with weather, freqs, runways, music and all the other super neat stuff it has. As far as I'm concerned both are an absolute necessity and can't imagine being without either one!

KMD 150

I know this might not help your comparison, but I have the KMD 150 and love it! Can't imagine flying without it. Don't see how others do it, :)
I do not have a 296,396, or 496......yet.
I do see lots of the guys trying to figure out how to use their units though.
Good Luck

I also love my KMD 150, but I am also going to get a 496 for weather, backup, and auto use. Both are tops in my book.

Roberta

I have two Skymap IIICs with are the basis for the KMD 150s at a much lower price. I own a Garmin backup GPS. The Skymap is way more intuitive to use. The Garmin was/ is sometimes maddening with the normal defaults and what I consider funny ways of doing things. I suppose you get used to anything. I tried a new Lowrance 2000C and it was even more illogical to use plus had an inaccurate database. I sold it a week later and bought the second Skymap. Only thing bad about the Skymap, is it is not truly sunlight readable which can be a pain sometimes. Not sure if the KMD 150 has the same LCD or not. No weather info with the IIIC but VFR, I just look out the window.

Have a good look at all units before deciding but Garmin is not the only game in town. You really can't tell how you will like a GPS until you use it for a while. I agree with another poster here, I see a fair number of people struggling with other brands when programming or calling up new menus. Head out of the cockpit is the idea for VFR.

IMHO, it depends on how and when you fly. I'm a fair weather VFR pilot and have been flying with a 196 for years and love it. It has all the features I need and are now relatively inexpensive. While the 396 and the 496 have some outstanding features such as weather, terrain warning(I live in S. Florida, don't really need), and in the case of the 496 safetaxi, taxiway diagrams, and can't swallow the price or having to pay for an XM subscription. One feature I love with the 196 are the extended runway centerlines. On the haziest day or darkest night, even if you do't see the airport, just follow the cone and it will take you right to the runway. My picture is a little crummy, but you can see how this makes locating the airport easy.

hand held GPS

Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. I have two handhelds that I have mounted to the instrument panel - both are detachable and can be programmed at home before a flight. One is a Garmin 295 and the other is an AVMAP. I like the AVMAP best and use it as my primary system. The main reason is the large screen - I love that. Either unit can be selectively slaved to drive my Trio autopilot.

Depends ..

514S said:
Looking for some feedback and experiences with the King KMD-150 and Garmin 496 units. Any recommendations which one to buy?
WE have the KMD 150 mounted in our RV6 panel. Works great. Easy to use. Large screen. Good value for large screen in panel.

I have a **396** and it has a lot more funtionality ... more stuff in the database, weather (key reason for upgrade from 296), XM radio etc.

I use the 396 in multiple planes and carry it with me in the RV on long trips (backup AND weather if needed).

Sit and play with each and it will become obvious which one is best for YOU. Now if weather is not a big deal, and screensize is, you might want to put the KMD in teh panel and get a 296.

James

I have three Garmin handhelds and based on what's presently available, would not buy anything else.

My primary GPS reference in the plane is a 196. It has been tremendously reliable and helpful. One of these days, I'll upgrade to a 396 or 496.

I have both

514S said:

They are both great. The 150 has an 8 channel reciever vs. 12 for the 496. Down side to the 150 is the database update cost and mailing data cards back and forth. I update the 150 4 times per yr. $470 list, I get it for $235.(you can too) Much more than the garmin at $35 a pop when ever you want on-line.

For what ever reason, the 150 does not depict the 30 mile mode C vail at STL., the 496 does. If I was only buying one it would be a garmin, doesn't have to be a 496. The weather and radio is very expensive if you don't use it. If you fly more than one airplane, the garmin is the way to go. If I fly the RV , Bonanza, Air Tractor, or anything else the 496 goes and I know I'll have something I know how to use.

Hope this helps.

Anyone have any experience with the AvMap EKP-IV unit? I plan to install one with an AizGizmo in-panel mount. It appears to be a pretty affordable unit with a large color screen. I already have a Garmin 196 I fly in rental planes with a yoke mount but in my opinion the screen is too small for a panel mount. I have already purchased the AirGizmo mount and it arrived with basically no installation instructions and it appears like it will be a real pain installing it. It is about 7 3/4" wide which means the panel will need to be cut up quite a bit in the upper radio stack area. I also have an 'Affordable Panel' which I think is making the installation even more difficult. Has anyone installed one of the units in a RV7 or 9 tipper?

JC

AvMap IV

I have mine mounted in front of the panel and didn't cut any holes. It may get moved, who knows? I really like it and it does what I want. I do hope they released weather overlay soon. On the negative side, it is a rather complicated unit to operate, but all of the ones I have used are anyway.

Bob Kelly

Back