Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:57 PM

Default SOLD! Van's RV 8 Tail Section $800 OBO

SOLD! RV-8 Tail Section Asking $800 OBO - 2011 Build

"New build, unpainted" never installed/flown and has been stored since 2011 in a well-kept residential garage.

The tail belongs to my brother, who purchased it through Barnstormers in 2011 then switched to a different model. I am facilitating the sale of the parts. I will answer any questions as quickly as possible. You can contact me here or via email at krishashimoto@gmail.com.

The location of the tail section is Camarillo, CA. Prefer the tail section to be picked up by the buyer.

There are some beginning signs of corrosion, however minimal, please see photos for details at this link: https://khashimoto.wixsite.com/my-site

Thanks, Kris

Last edited by krishashimoto@gmail.com : 02-25-2021 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Updating to actual AD of item for sale.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:13 AM

Tons of variables here so it's hard to give you a straight answer.

Just my 2¢ -- A new tail kit is $2075 (plus $325 if you have electric trim). That's probably the top end of what you could get for an assembled tail section if it's in good condition and has excellent workmanship. The problem is, there's a lot of learning to be done on the tail kit before moving on to more expensive components and it goes together rather quickly, so a prebuilt tail isn't really that attractive to the rookie builder. A repeat offender or A&P might be more interested in it depending on the material condition, build quality, etc. YMMV.

List it for sale and see what market feedback you get. That's really the only way to know for sure.

RV-8 N884RA under construction
Old 02-19-2021, 10:51 AM

Also if the Service Bulletins haven't been installed as part of the build, that will reduce the value. I've seen tail kits advertised from free to $2000 on here. I would think $700 is probably a good deal if it doesn't have too many "learning" mistakes on it.

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 02-21-2021, 05:08 PM

Default RV-8 Tail

Thank you both for the feedback. I will be listing it for sale shortly. Your input was informative and appreciated.

Thanks,

Kris
Old 02-22-2021, 06:08 PM

Kris,
I think your price is very fair. On the surface, it looks like whoever built it did a decent job. Surface corrosion as seen in your pictures can be easily remedied. I have an RV8 tail kit that was donated to my local EAA chapter, housed in my hangar, and it has no corrosion. However, there are some obvious “blemishes” that need to be dealt with. If I were to build another RV8 (I’ve built two), I would not consider the the one in my hangar (and I can get it for free), but I would definitely be interested in a closer look at the one you have for 800 bucks. Good luck with your sale.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 02-22-2021, 06:11 PM

Thank you so much for the info and feedback. Much appreciated. I'm sure we'll find a good home for it!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:35 PM

Default RV8 Tail

Email sent.

Thanks,
Jordan
Old 02-22-2021, 08:07 PM

Email replied 😃
Closed Thread