What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camloc vs Skybolt vs ???

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
Background: The screws I used along the upper and lower cowl/firewall junction on my -6 have performed admirably for 16 years, but I have to remove 32 (I think) screws to get the cowl off, plus pulling the pins along the sides of the cowl.

On the -10, I'd like to use quick release fasteners along the top of the cowling/firewall junction and across the bottom too. I'd like to use similar fasteners where the cowl halves join just behind the spinner. I plan on using the stock hinges down the sides of the bottom cowl half/firewall junction and along the lengthwise seam between the cowl halves.

I'd prefer a flush or semi-flush fastener with a Phillips head. Not sure about cadmium plated steel or stainless.

So, what practical differences are there between the various families of 1/4 twist fasteners? Skybolts? Camlocs? Is one better than the other? Other than cost, what are the differences? Is there any reason to favor stainless or cad plated?

Also, what tools are required to install the respective "families" of fasteners? I'd hate to save $20 on fasteners to give it all back and then some for specialty installation tools.

Thanks,

Kyle, I used the skybolts for my 9A for the firewall and sides. There are some tricks and things to watch out for and in the words of "Wheeler Dealers", they are fiddly.

I would not purchase the receiver parts and just make my own out of a 2" aluminum strip. That way you can install the strip, cleco the cowling to it and then mark where all your skybolts go for drilling. Matching the drilling through the cowl to the pre drilled holes in the pieces they provide was very difficult for me. They have to be exact. You can buy adjustable ones, but you can't use all adjustable!

I like how they work and look, but it has not been as easy as I thought it would be. I would use hinges on two half's to get a better fit - and probably save 20 hours of work!!

Email me if you have any other questions. Have fun!

the milspec is compatible with camloc. the ''flange'' looks more machined than stamped and the slot for a flathead screwdriver does not extend to the edge of the fastener, no slipping. i think it looks ''drop dead gorgeous'' compared to a camloc at about half the price.

I've got stainless Milspec for my entire cowl (no hinges) and love'em. Skybolts are probably just as good (Ford v Chevy). My kit came with the required "specialty" tools: a tool for inserting the retaining ring on the back of the grommets, pliers for inserting/removing studs, and a pick that is used to adjust the receptacles. Another advantage of buying the kit is it comes with drill templates for locating all of the holes.

Last edited:
Milspec

My nearly nine year old Milspec still look like new and function perfectly.

One poster commented about floating vs fixed receptacles.

What's the consensus? I'm tempted to use all fixed. Is that a mistake?

One poster commented about floating vs fixed receptacles.

What's the consensus? I'm tempted to use all fixed. Is that a mistake?

I recommend floating -- they allow for some misalignment between components and are the same amount of work to install.

For a cowl I see no upside to using fixed because if you are off just a little bit, the stud won't seat in the receptacle.

I ordered a mix of Milspec floating and fixed fasteners for the top and bottom (not sides) where the cowl meets the firewall. They dissuaded me from using their fasteners in the area at the inboard sides of the air inlets. Their opinion is that screws/nutplates are a better solution there.

Milspec was very easy to work with. They responded immediately to a couple of rounds of e-mailed questions, and provided same day shipment when I placed the order. I'd been trying to communicate with one of their rivals for a month and couldn't get traction.

Last edited:
Skybolt

I use the Skybolt fasteners on my 9a (200 hours) and they are great. I purchased everything they suggested and followed directions. I did make one call for some help and the guy was very helpful. I have no complaints at all. I don't fret for a second about taking off the cowl.

I have not tried the other fasteners referenced.

Harmon

Another testimonial here for Milspec. I used their phillips head fasteners all around the cowl-firewall interface. The install instructions were excellent. Making the .063" strips for the receptacles was more time consuming than I expected, but they turned out fine. I have 5 yrs and 350 hrs flying with the Milspecs and would not trade them. Removing and reinstalling the cowl is joy (except for the 3 blade prop ;)), taking but a few seconds.
I did use a Milspec fastener on either side of the spinner, and would agree with the recommendation to go with phillips head screws and Tinnermans at that location. Those two fasteners work OK, but must be installed/removed with care.

Back