What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Store/Load G3X GDU 45X/46X settings from SD card?

KatieB

Well Known Member
Hey G3Xperts or anyone else who might know,

I know the configuration module stores the settings for the system in case you need to replace an LRU. Is there a way to transfer the settings to another airplane? Such as saving the config files onto the SD card? In our case, building multiple aircraft, it would save a lot of programming time if we could have a master SD card and upload the configuration file into each new airplane. We used to do this for our GRT airplanes using a USB stick. (They don't have a config module.)

Hey G3Xperts or anyone else who might know,

I know the configuration module stores the settings for the system in case you need to replace an LRU. Is there a way to transfer the settings to another airplane? Such as saving the config files onto the SD card? In our case, building multiple aircraft, it would save a lot of programming time if we could have a master SD card and upload the configuration file into each new airplane. We used to do this for our GRT airplanes using a USB stick. (They don't have a config module.)

I asked that a while ago and was told no...

I have spent a lot of hours getting my G3X configured like I want it. While I know it is unlikely to lose all of the settings, it would be nice to have a way to back it up, or load it onto another plane as well.

-Dan

I guessing that there is a "secret" way to do this because the G3X for the RV-12 comes loaded with RV-12 specific configuration file.

There is "RV-12 base configuration file" available on Van's Download page. It is a .gca file. So there must be a way to either save the configuration data or write a custom .gca file.

Of course, the calibration routines still need to be performed and there were a few changes required to the base configuration.

You're probably right, Rick. Saving time is nice, but the main thing I want is an idiot-proof way for all our LSAs to be exactly the same. Just like Vans!

I will say the system setup is VERY user-friendly and almost fun. Almost. :D

Last edited:
You're probably right, Rick. Saving time is nice, but the main thing I want is an idiot-proof way for all our LSAs to be exactly the same. Just like Vans!

I will say the system setup is VERY user-friendly and almost fun. Almost. :D

Hi Katie,

Gimme a shout...we may be able to be of some assistance.

Cheers,
Stein

Back