What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Annual Stanley international fly-in

Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
The annual fly-in at Stanley Nova Scotia is scheduled for Aug 30 to Sept 01.

Here's the link http://www.stanleysportaviation.ns.ca/

Were.re pretty famous up here because the RV-1 stopped here once and Vlad has been here twice. :D As you may have seen in a recent trip write-up, we generally have a pretty good time around here.

We hope you can make it.

IMG_3390%20COOPERS%20PIX%20OF%20STANLEY.JPG

How do they park all those planes in that soft ground???:D

The annual fly-in at Stanley Nova Scotia is scheduled for Aug 30 to Sept 01.

Here's the link http://www.stanleysportaviation.ns.ca/

Were.re pretty famous up here because the RV-1 stopped here once and Vlad has been here twice. :D As you may have seen in a recent trip write-up, we generally have a pretty good time around here.

We hope you can make it.

Paul,

Your timing is impeccable! I flew up to Stanley in June to learn the international travel ropes for a flight to Grand Manon Island in late August. You are going to be a hop, skip, and a jump away. Wife requested no bunk beds, so I'll ask for a ride to the nearest motel or rental car place. I am looking forward to returning...and avoiding any soft spots this time.

Don

Too early for us!

3 rvs from windsor will be on Grand Manon aug 10pm and flying by Stanley on aug 11 on way to Sydney, PEI and Newfoundland. Too late I suppose...no beer left by then I bet :confused:

I hope to be in Yarmouth, NS visiting my folks that weekend. My dad always enjoys the Labour Day Fly-In, so I suspect we'll fly up for a day trip, or possibly an overnight.

Weather permitting, I'm planning on flying up in my SuperCub. No other choice right now but the slow train.

Weather permitting, I'm planning on flying up in my SuperCub. No other choice right now but the slow train.

Ron. Slow, fast or in between we hope you can make it. Bring a tent and stay the night if you can, that's when all the strange stuff happens. :D

Halifax:
CYHZ</B>Reported: August 30, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Valid: August 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM - August 31, 2013 at 8:00 AM
From 8:00 AM: Wind 350? at 15 gusting to 25 kt, Visibility 4 sm, Light Drizzle, Mist, Overcast 600' (IFR)
Temporarily from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM: Visibility greater than 6 sm, No Significant Weather (VFR)
From 9:00 AM: Wind 350? at 15 gusting to 25 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Scattered 800', Overcast 1500' (MVFR)
Temporarily from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM: Visibility 5 sm, Light Drizzle, Mist, Overcast 800' (IFR)
From 6:00 PM: Wind 350? at 15 gusting to 25 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Overcast 2000' (MVFR)
Temporarily from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM: Scattered 2000' (VFR)
From 8:00 PM: Wind 340? at 10 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Few 2000' (VFR)
Between 11:00 PM and 1:00 AM becoming: Wind 280? at 8 kt
From 6:00 AM: Wind 280? at 8 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Broken 12000' (VFR)

Noah,
Just guessing but that was a restricted area on my Garmin. I believe it means (S)urface (being 753 msl) to 5000.

I could be WAY off here but we just avoided the airspace.

Can anybody help me with this? What does the CYA 753(S) to 5000 mean over Stanley on this Canadian chart?
http://www.ivao.ca/atc/czqm/images/cyhz_vfr.jpg

That is a soaring area - I.e. gliders. You can legally go in it, but keep your eyes open. I wouldn't expect any soaring today, as the ceiling is not too high, and the wind is blowing.

I just spoke with Paul. He was up is morning in his RV-8, and the ceiling was 1400 ft at that time. He says it looks higher now, and seems to be slowly improving. He can see some blue patches. They expect the weather to continue to improve today, and be good on Saturday. Sunday is looking like rain showers.

Dad and I will fly from Yarmouth to Stanley this afternoon.

Last edited:

Flickr photo set

Dad and I made it to Stanley Friday afternoon. It was pretty much solid 1500 ft overcast the whole way up, but the visibility underneath was excellent, so it worked out fine. Not many other people made it in on Friday, but there was a large contingent of drive-in traffic.

Perhaps an hour before sunset an unpainted US-registered nose-dragger RV arrived in the pattern and landed, and the locals who hosted the US visitors earlier in the year feared that perhaps Vlad had returned. Families rushed to lock up their food, and there was concern about whether there would be enough corn for the corn boil. But, it was a false alarm, and we remained Vlad-free all weekend (or at least until we left on Saturday afternoon - perhaps he showed up later).

The bonfire, corn boil and live music on Friday night were all much appreciated, as was the fact that is was cool enough to keep the mosquito population under control. The low cloud slid off the east around 6 PM.

Stanley is "in the middle of nowhere", and the effect the lack of light pollution had on the night sky was amazing. I hadn't seen so many stars for years, and I can't remember the last time the Milky Way was that noticeable. The trip was worth it for this alone.

Saturday started with a lowish overcast and some fog patches, but it cleared out quickly and turned into a beautiful day. There was a steady stream of arrivals all morning, including perhaps a dozen RVs.

Dad and I had to leave earlier than hoped, as the weather back in Yarmouth had been unexpectedly poor for most of the morning, with 100 ft ceilings. The fog bank moved late in the morning, but the forecast (and wind direction) suggested it would roll back in sometime. So we packed up and left shortly after lunch.

The Yarmouth weather was still good when we arrived, but the fog bank was only 1.5 nm west of the airport, so it was a close-run thing. My first attempt at a landing was one of my worst ever, and I hope no one caught it on video. I managed to bounce the touchdown, tried to recover for a second touchdown, but that gave an even worse bounce, and the third bounce was worse yet. Not liking this trend, I went around. Sure, it hurts the pride, but not as much as an accident would have, so it was the right decision. I was much more focused for the next landing, and it was a perfect, roll-it-on touchdown. Oh well.

It was good to spend time talking to old friends, and meet many new friends.

Last edited:
I am missing that place thanks for report Kevin. Stanley has a special place in my heart. I was this close to fire and go but it seems you just can't get over some obstacles.

Did Don come in his painted RV9A?

I am missing that place thanks for report Kevin. Stanley has a special place in my heart. I was this close to fire and go but it seems you just can't get over some obstacles.

Did Don come in his painted RV9A?

The US visitor who arrived on Friday was Noah, in his RV-7A. He was the only US attendee who arrived before we left, around 1330 Saturday afternoon.

The US visitor who arrived on Friday was Noah, in his RV-7A. He was the only US attendee who arrived before we left, around 1330 Saturday afternoon.

Noah is an outstanding aviator and balloonist I had an honor to fly by his wing on some serious gravel and ice. Glad he made it. US RV Nation was properly presented. I can see on your picture the Old Glory is back.

Last edited:
Noah and his wife arrived this morning as most of the locals were packing up for home. They spent the last few days eco-camping with their folks at a place near by. We showed them the Hilton and other facilities and asked that they lock things up when they leave. Noah and I traded a few Vlad stories and came to a general consensus. If you are planning any kind of event he should be high on the invitation list just for the entertainment value alone and he doesn't eat that much really. :D

As it turned out Kevin and I each won an award for our -8s. The judges said if Mel had entered his for judging it would have been a difficult decision.
I'm local so I think mine was just to keep me from pouting.

Here's a few pictures taken by James Small.

zcru.jpg

RVers at Stanley.

L to R. Don McCauley RV-8, RV-1 Pilot Ross Keirstead RV-4, Ross' Grandson Curtis, Tom Sabean ( my test pilot), RV-1 pilot Don Bertelson RV-4,
Yours truly RV-8, Mel Penny RV-8, Kevin Horton RV-8, Joe Hine RV-4,
Brian Eisner RV-4, Jim Ewing RV-4.

xkba.jpg

Kevins RV-8

m4fm.jpg

My-8 with Joe's RV-4 in the background.

cyma.jpg

Mel's new RV-8

Back