What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Light scratch on canopy

Bavafa

Well Known Member
A friend of mine has got a couple of light (not deep) scratches that are about 10" or so and I was wondering if there is a method to get these out. If I run my finger nail on it, I barely feel the scratch.

I got some scratches in my canopy when putting my RV together. Got the Micro Mesh kit and it came out perfect. But it was hours of work, as the area just gets bigger and bigger as you go finer on the abrasive. And it is important to not try to go small but instead feather it out (especially if it's in the windscreen), so you don't get a distorted area.
Bottom line, I'd think hard about whether you can live with before attacking it with the abrasives.

What Carl said.

Caveat, that's the only one I tried, and it worked well.

Probably other products will work well, too. But the Novus definitely does the job.

Dave

The brand of the product was Novus that I used but I think I got it from Vans. It worked really well. I did large areas of the canopy because I had some overspray on them and almost 10 years of building and garage rash. It was VERY scary trying a small scratch in the back behind the roll bar but it worked so well, I dont fear it anymore. I was amazed at how it could remove the scratches so well. You will have to decide how deep you want to go and it may be better to polish it almost out leaving a fine line you dont notice rather than getting too deep.

Remember, it you have prescription glasses, they were polished to be clear.

Scratches or swirls on plexiglass, ...I use a serious buffing process using the Novus 3-step stuff with a Porter-Cable 7424 random orbital polisher on low speed. Polishing that stuff by hand is very tedious. Especially getting scratches out.

If they are very fine scratches, try cleaning the canopy with water and a terry cloth. The clean again with Plexus and a cotton T-shirt. The Plexus will fill in fine scratches so light does not trace in it.

Not starting a debate. IF you go the Micro Mesh route (which does work and can produce great results), my one tip is this;

Try to gage the relative depth of the scratch -> start with the finest grade that will even it out. You don’t want to produce more scratches/remove more material than absolutely necessary. While it’s almost always recoverable, why do more work than necessary?

I’ve removed a lot of “glass” scratches from at various depths on my aircraft and other’s. Not hard and can be relatively fast if you start right.

Best of luck.

I have saved a windshield and several windows that were terribly scratched, using Micro-Mesh and Scratch Off. Scratch Off is much easier to use. It will remove even deep scratches, but the optics may not be so great.

Back