What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Almost a 14 seat mode won’t fit

toolmanmike

Well Known Member
Patron
I’m building my fuselage and wanted to do the seat mod. I ordered it from Anti Splat Aero. The only directions for the install is the YouTube video. I’ve watched it multiple times and his pieces just seem to slide right in. I had to use spreaders in the fuselage top rail to widen it enough for the seat bar to fit and the center support seems 1/2” too long. I don’t want to permanently install the pieces with a “load” on them like this. Seems to me that I should have to trim down both the stainless seat support by about 3/8 to 1/2” and the vertical support as well.

Anyone else having issues?

Good quality pieces. Just seems like it is made for a larger fuselage.

Phone Alan.

I have not done this mod, but I have the Nose Job II, the Lip Skid, and the ultimate gust lock. I had some issues installing the Nose Job II which were COMPLETELY my fault and they happily sent me replacement parts to make it work.

I have an 2001 RV-6A and did the RV-14 seat mod two years ago. Love it.
No real problems and it did fit per shipped length.
But, it is a bugger and you have to hold your mouth just right to get it in.
I really like the fact you can work in the fuselage so easy with it out.
My avionics shop couldn't figure it out so I has to go there and shop them the way to hold their mouth to get it in. Ha Ha.
Obvious your luck varies from mine.
Art

I installed it during my 9A fuse build. I don't recall any problems with the fit. Lines up just right!

Note that the F-721B L & R Aft Canopy Deck plates on top of each longeron must be parallel on the inside face, so don't pry them apart to fit the cross bar. That would be bad.

Almost a 14

The stainless X-bar was a smidge too wide for my '95 RV-6A so I trimmed about 1/4" from each side. That kit is my 2nd most favorite mod I've added, closely behind the AP.

I would call Allan at Anti-Splat to get his input for sure.

I'm shorter, so I'd consider the AA14 mod my second favorite. My favorite, hands down, is the Supertracks canopy extension. If the OP has a slider, I recommend that mod and it's likely to be an easier installation during the building process rather than after completion.

Thanks all. I DO have an email into manufacturer but no response yet. Just assumed it was made for that plane but maybe some cutting is needed. I understand about the rails needing to be parrallel. They are NOT when I spread it to fit the new cross bar. And YES! I do have the super tracks. Very excited to see those installed.

T

I did the Almost a 14 mod in conjunction with the Super Tracks mod. Had to make some parts and had to trim the cross bar. There are some pics of my install here https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=N16KY - go down to "Almost a 14 Seat Mod". The cross bar is a nice place to put an led strip light "Baggage Light Bar (Anti Splat Almost a 14 Seat Mod)" section.

Attachments

• 14_crossbar_trim_01.jpg
    14_crossbar_trim_01.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 104
Back