What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Priming Session

KEG

Patron
Ready to prime empennage kit with S/W wash primer... looking for cautions and/or comments from experienced builders!

I plan on shooting all parts at once. I have smoothed all edges and deburred a few pre-punched holes (only as needed per Vans instructions). I scuffed all mating surfaces and rivet lines with maroon Scotch Bright for a little extra bite for the primer, and will wipe every thing down with solvent just prior to priming. I will be priming all surfaces on interior parts and the inside of skins, along with the rivet lines on skin exteriors.

All help always appreciated.

Do not spray to get a visual amount of coverage. Spray just enough to get it wet (as if you were spraying water). When properly applied, you will be able to see the aluminum grain and mil print (if you didn't remove it).

If it sprays out splotchy / splattery, it needs more reducer. I recommend just using 2 parts reducer/catalist to 1 part primer.

P60G2

Ready to prime empennage kit with S/W wash primer... looking for cautions and/or comments from experienced builders!

I plan on shooting all parts at once. I have smoothed all edges and deburred a few pre-punched holes (only as needed per Vans instructions). I scuffed all mating surfaces and rivet lines with maroon Scotch Bright for a little extra bite for the primer, and will wipe every thing down with solvent just prior to priming. I will be priming all surfaces on interior parts and the inside of skins, along with the rivet lines on skin exteriors.

All help always appreciated.

Scott is right on. Thin
I would recommend a scrub before painting instead of a solvent wipe. Scrub with BonAmi cleanser and scotchbrite. Gray is more than adequate. The idea is to remove the Aluminum Oxide and leave a water break free surface. Rinse well, dry, spray. I usually shoot one pass then rotate 90 and shoot another. Both are very thin. Stop if you see color change. That's plenty.

Back