What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS Avionics Packages

KEG

Patron
I am considering building a RV-12iS as my first build. Any comments on the avionics packages Vans offers for the 12iS, ie. necessary common components not included; ease of installation; use of a commercial 'panel builder' company etc.?

The avionics package is complete. When ordering from Van's you choose single or dual display, +/- autopilot, Dynon or Garmin, IFR/VFR etc. Van's puts together the airframe components (panel, center console, etc.) and sends them to SteinAir. The folks at SteinAir do all the wiring and send the complete package, including avionics to you. You can even have the panel powder coated and silk screened (a work of art, see pictures at the link below for my build).

With few exceptions , all connectors are attached. All wires, antennas, stick grips, grommets, bushings and hardware are included. You route the harness in place per the Kit Assembly Instructions and are good to go. Connections are included for all options (autopilot servos, ADS-B) so they can be installed later if you wish to defer some parts. Note that to register the plane as an E-LSA, the package must be ordered through Van's. If you choose to source your avionics from somewhere else, the plane would need to be registered as an E-AB.

Any comments on the avionics packages Vans offers for the 12iS

As previously mentioned, Van's provides complete instillation kits for both Dynon and Garmin avionics.

I installed a single screen Dynon SkyView system with the AP and Knobs panels and have been VERY pleased with the SkyView install. Dynon provides a lot of bang for the buck and the customer support has in a word been ... stellar.
Happy building,

Last edited:
Barry,
Great builder log site with great photos and construction info! I ordered the Garmin IFR package and hope to receive it soon and will be referencing your log for info as I install it.
Gary B

I'd suggest, with it being 2020, get the kit with the ADS-B In module and the 2020 ADS-B out module, if it isn't already standard, no matter how remote an area you fly in, or how much E class airspace is available to you.

Very handy to have all the airport data available to you, on the screen, com frequencies, runway #'s approach patter elevations, etc.

Also MOA's and such, if you fly much out west.

Flying a 2012 build RV-12 with Dynon Skyview Classic. Flying with Touch screen in turbulence can be kind of tough for setting go to airports, vs the joystick Knob on the Dynon versions.

2 RV12's built, both with Dynon. Dynon make avionics, Garmin make fish finders :D:D

Current Skyview HDX is just brilliant - touchscreen or knobs you choose during use.

Autopilot is most excellent.

As previous said, the whole install is plug and play, harness work is very good indeed.

Barry,
Great builder log site with great photos and construction info! I ordered the Garmin IFR package and hope to receive it soon and will be referencing your log for info as I install it.
Gary B

+1 on Barry's EAA builder's log. Wish I could make progress as fast as he has.

Thanks, appreciate the encouragement. This is my second RV12 (actually, my third if you include the One Week Wonder, but I had help with that one). When choosing a project last December, I wanted a fun to build, fun to fly kit I could complete in less than a year. Another RV12, this time the iS version rose to the top of my list. However long it takes you, enjoy the build, you will definitely enjoy the flying. Hopefully mine will be flying by the end of October!

Back