What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question to XM weather users

vluvelin

Well Known Member
How often you have to reactivate/ refresh your receiver???
can this happen in flight that you loose it and have land to refresh
to get service???

Garmin 496 XM

How often you have to reactivate/ refresh your receiver???
can this happen in flight that you loose it and have land to refresh
to get service???

I've never had to reactivate or refresh the XM for the 496. Have never had to do anything at all since initial activation, it just works, for about six years now.

-jon

We had to "reset"

in our Lance, if we had not queried the satellites within the last 30 days, or so. We had to call XM or, go online and do something. Never had it drop us while in the air.

R.

I have never lost it in flight, but I have had it refuse to work at start up, both in the plane and the car. Happened so often that I programmed the XM web address into my iPad, so that if XM didn't boot up I could call for a re-activation signal, as long as I was within cell phone coverage. This usually worked, but once it failed when I was in the boonies with no cell phone service, and isolated thunderstorms.
I have ditched xm wx and gone to ADSB-in. Save $400/yr too.

Just in case

You never know when it will need to see the signal. So, right before I takeoff I go to the refresh web page and enter my radio ID. Takes 30 secs and it will guarantee that your radio won't drop off because of a timed out/missing activation.

I have ditched xm wx and gone to ADSB-in. Save $400/yr too.

I checked the price of XM Wx for my 496 and opted for the Stratus II instead. Very happy with the decision. If I flew more XC, it would be nice to have both.

I have never had to request a refresh signal. I do think the 30 day thing applies though. I fly at least weekly.

Back