What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Southeastern Destinations

I enjoy seeing all the pics and reading about the cool places to fly to and camp, eat, etc. Many of the ones that I see are all on the West side of the US. I would like for some of the pilots in the Southeastern US to ost their favorite places to land. Wendover, UT and Alvord Desert look awesome, but that is a long way from North GA!!!!!

SE sights

Savannah, Charlston, and Jacksonville are all great get aways. Mertyl Beach, Desten, Cedar Key, Pensecola, Gulf shores, Mobile come to mind off the top of my head

Gary Specketer

Jekyll Island (09J) is a great place to stop for pizza. Just tell them after landing that you want to go to the their pizza restaurant and they'll let you borrow a Red Bug cart to go (same owners as the pizza joint).

There is also a nice club/resort and a water park, if you want to spend a few days or more. Carts can be rented for $75 for that purpose.

Beaufort, S.C.

One of the best kept secrets in the USA.

You can fly in to KARW and borrow my F-150 parked at the airport.

Best,

Wow Pierre that is a great offer.
We road the bikes up and stayed in Port Royal last year.
Beaufort and Port Royal are a great little weekend/vacation spot.

One of the best kept secrets in the USA.

You can fly in to KARW and borrow my F-150 parked at the airport.

Best,

I was trying to figure out which airplane was designated the F-150 :D

Pierre, if ever around 3J1 (Ridgeland, SC) on the weekend, stop in and say hey. Several RVs under construction and lots of friendly folks, including Tom of TSFlightLines.

Ocracoke Island, W95

Some wonderful destinations in the NC outer banks, I recommend a visit to Ocracoke Island.

Howard's Pub usually monitors W95 CTAF and will pick you up in a golf cart for lunch, and you're halfway into town. From there, you can walk, rent bikes, or rent a golf cart reasonably and explore a pretty cool and isolated village. Blackbeard was killed in the harbor, lots of pirate lore and other history. Great for an overnight or just a day trip.

You can then hop up to Kitty Hawk/First Flight for the obligatory "RV with Wright Bros. monument" selfie.

-jon

Last edited:
Lots of good places

We have been to Jekyl, St. Simon Island, Lake City SC has a cafe on the field. FQD, Rutherfordton, NC same. oak Island NC just south of Willmington. Been to breakfast at Beaufort, SC and lunch also. Spent last Thursday and Friday there. Stayed at Beaufort Inn. Great place and nice restaurant. Lots of places to eat in historic district. Short hops from you in a RV :)

Cedar key is great. Apalachicola is also nice and they have a crew car to get lunch in town. X35 (close to Cedar Key) is the home of the Saint RV Hotel, too. You'd be welcome to stay and borrow a car if you want to see the area. The Rainbow River is a great destination local here.

Cedar key is great. Apalachicola is also nice and they have a crew car to get lunch in town. X35 (close to Cedar Key) is the home of the Saint RV Hotel, too. You'd be welcome to stay and borrow a car if you want to see the area. The Rainbow River is a great destination local here.

Rainbow River is an excellent destination. The spring fed river that you can take a lazy tube float downstream.
You can see the blue spring on the west end of X35 27 departure. Tubes and rides up & down river are available.
Spring water is a constant 72d year round.

No camping, but there is always Key West (KEYW). Go cheap & use the bus service to get around the key. That's what we do. :cool:

Last edited:
Triple Tree should be mandatory..If you find yourself in central NC , I live on 8A7, and we have great area to camp, as well as spare bedroom.

KFIN, KSGJ & KPNS

St Augustine (KSGJ), Flagler Beach (KFIN) and Pensacola (KPNS) are three airports to visit in North Florida.

At KSGJ you can have lunch at the Fly-By Café or grab a taxi to downtown and walk around the oldest city in the US for the day. If you fly to KFIN then park the airplane on the ramp and walk right in to Highjackers for lunch. I am based at KFIN so if you fly there send me a PM and we can try to meet up. Pensacola (KPNS) is a must visit just for the US Navy Aviation Museum.

:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. My wife and I went to Osh this year and camped. Had soooo much fun. This gives some good ideas of other places to go. I can add one to the list too. We went to Gatlinburg TN. They have car rental onsite and we went downtown. Had a blast. Actually, we did the whole LeConte Lodge hike and camping experience while we were there. I highly recommend it. It is an awesome hike and cabin experience. Good luck getting reservations to stay there!!!!! We lucked out on got into a cancellation. We plan on doing it again.

Back