What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Screw size?-they escaped again

danielabernath

Well Known Member
Just like sox in my drawer, the screws on my piano wire ends have escaped since I unscrewed them.
Do you know the size of the 3 RV 12 screws and washers needed to hold down the piano wires so I can travel to Home Depo for replacements?

:confused:

Just like sox in my drawer, the screws on my piano wire ends have escaped since I unscrewed them.
Do you know the size of the 3 RV 12 screws and washers needed to hold down the piano wires so I can travel to Home Depo for replacements?

:confused:

Not at the airplane but most of the cowling screws on my RV-12 are #8-32 1/2" (truss head style) or #6-32 1/2" (Countersink style). I ordered a bunch of extras from bolt depot.

Not at the airplane but most of the cowling screws on my RV-12 are #8-32 1/2" (truss head style) or #6-32 1/2" (Countersink style). I ordered a bunch of extras from bolt depot.

Just checked construction drawings - the screws you are looking for are Vans AN526C832R8, described as #8-32 truss head, 1/2"

TB

Last edited:
I don't know how they escape, these screws. I put them in a special place where I wouldn't forget where they are but they were not there (The Truth-I forgot where the special place was:eek:).
One day I will investigate and will write about how screws and other small parts can escape like this. An underground railroad for Van's small parts?

I don't know how they escape, these screws. I put them in a special place where I wouldn't forget where they are but they were not there (The Truth-I forgot where the special place was:eek:).
One day I will investigate and will write about how screws and other small parts can escape like this. An underground railroad for Van's small parts?

Try capturing some spares in various sizes in a Ziploc bag an keep them in your on-board tool kit...:)

Somewhere there's a little colony of escaped small parts.....

Countersink Screws

It's worth mentioning that the countersink screws from the hardware store will have an include angle of 82 degrees, while aviation countersinks are 100 degrees. The 82 degree screws will thread into the holes just fine, but they won't be clamping correctly.

Someone please chime in if I'm wrong about this, but it has been my understanding...

-jon

I put the little nylon washers under all external screws of the -12. Bags of 06 size and 08 size are cheap, as are extra stainless screws. Use boelube on them.

I found a very useful item during and after the build to be a collection of plastic screw-on jar lids. Three to 4 inches in diameter. During the build, I would put all specific hardware for a subassembly I was working on into one. Now, when working on the plane, whenever I remove anything like an inspection panel or the cowl or a wheel pant, all of the screws/washers go into one of those and I set it aside. You can even temporarily label them with a piece of blue tape - "panel cover" or "tailcone" if you remove several things at once.

We get small plastic containers of dog food with lids. They are similarly useful.

Back