What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming IO 360 M1B

C-J

I'm on the final throws of the engine plumbing ans wiring on my RV7 and I have two items left that still puzzle me.

1) In the middle top of the engine there is the injector feed distributor with the 4 small fuel line going to each cylinder and one small AN fitting that is marked gage. How is this used? I have a fuel flow and pressure already installed. What does this one give me pressure to the injectors?

2) There is a vent on the engine driven pump, how is this used/plumed?

Help is appreciated, I see a light at the end of the tunnel and it might not be a train! ;-)

Fuel Overflow

I don't know for sure about the fitting on the top, but the one on your engine driven pump is for overflow if the pump diaphragm fails (as it has been explained to me). Most people put a npt to tubing fitting and then run a tube down the front of the firewall and vent it just behind the cowling. Usually, nothing will come out of that tube. The tubing run is on the firewall drawings.

Maybe a picture of the fitting on the top of the engine would help a more knowledgeable person identify it for you.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA

I'm on the final throws of the engine plumbing ans wiring on my RV7 and I have two items left that still puzzle me.

1) In the middle top of the engine there is the injector feed distributor with the 4 small fuel line going to each cylinder and one small AN fitting that is marked gage. How is this used? I have a fuel flow and pressure already installed. What does this one give me pressure to the injectors?

2) There is a vent on the engine driven pump, how is this used/plumed?

Help is appreciated, I see a light at the end of the tunnel and it might not be a train! ;-)

The fitting marked gauge is for diagnostic testing. All other fittings are for going to the various cylinders. In fact if you want to change things around you can put any fitting to any cylinder. Just don't use the one marked gauge for the cylinders.

Mysteries

Thanks Mike, I looked everywhere on Vans dwgs and in the Lycoming manual with no joy. There is a part in the FF kit that is a small 90degree pipe fitting with a tube welded to it, I bet that is the fitting? what do you think?

I don't know for sure about the fitting on the top, but the one on your engine driven pump is for overflow if the pump diaphragm fails (as it has been explained to me). Most people put a npt to tubing fitting and then run a tube down the front of the firewall and vent it just behind the cowling. Usually, nothing will come out of that tube. The tubing run is on the firewall drawings.

Maybe a picture of the fitting on the top of the engine would help a more knowledgeable person identify it for you.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA

Steve, there is no cap on the fitting, doesn't it require something? Currently, Lycoming put a red plastic cap on it, I'm sure it can't stay like that.

The fitting marked gauge is for diagnostic testing. All other fittings are for going to the various cylinders. In fact if you want to change things around you can put any fitting to any cylinder. Just don't use the one marked gauge for the cylinders.

Back