What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 335 wizard

von_flyer

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Where is this Garmin 335 wizard they speak of??

Installation is further simplified as Garmin has created a configuration wizard which streamlines the GTX 335 with GPS configuration process, ...

Ground mode

I am not trying to high-jack this thread, but my professionally installed 335 won't go into ground mode like it should. The shop said it is a Garmin problem and Garmin confirmed. I manually used Standby to pass the rebate test on the second try.

Anyone else experience this?

Installation is further simplified as Garmin has created a configuration wizard which streamlines the GTX 335 with GPS configuration process, ...

I have a copy I can send you, along with the instructions.

Garmin allows A&Ps to install the 335 but require a dealer to install the 345.

Found it

I purchased a Garmin GTX-335 and am installing it myself. I couldn't find the wizard and other documents I heard mentioned in various forums, etc. Today I registered my radio with Garmin and low and behold I now have access to all kinds of information, documents and yes, the wizard. I think there is a secret handshake mentioned somewhere in there as well.

I am not trying to high-jack this thread, but my professionally installed 335 won't go into ground mode like it should. The shop said it is a Garmin problem and Garmin confirmed. I manually used Standby to pass the rebate test on the second try.

This shows that the test is flawed. Standby is not the same as ground. You basically turned the transponder off and it gave you a pass.

I purchased a Garmin GTX-335 and am installing it myself. I couldn't find the wizard and other documents I heard mentioned in various forums, etc. Today I registered my radio with Garmin and low and behold I now have access to all kinds of information, documents and yes, the wizard. I think there is a secret handshake mentioned somewhere in there as well.

Yes, but you don't really need the wizard. All of the programming can be done through the front panel buttons per the section in the manual. I did it that way.

take a look at youtube for a video. There are several posted, the one from Stark avionics is great. Surprising how much aviation information that is available on that site.

GTX-335

I just installed a GTX-335 but never heard of the wizard. I registered the transponder but never received info about any wizard. I configured it on the front face with install manual open (post installation checks- section 6) stepping through the process with the function button on the front. Each sub area of the functions has several sub menus accessed by pressing the down & up arrows (buttons 8 & 9).

There were several tricky parts

- Trying to figure out what format to use for the RS232 altitude source IN from the G5. There were descriptions in the install menu for everything but the G5. Had to call Garmin, ended up using ALT FMT 1 25 ft for the format but you also need to select RS232 1 for the source from the G5 #1 RS232. The G5 has 2 RS232 outputs I think.

- Was also a little fun trying to figure out how to program the remote ident (right China hat button on my stick). It's in the discrete menu and if wired correctly on the appropriate PIN it will come up automatically (J2351-36) when you select IDENT

- the funnest & most time consuming was trying to enter the N number & ICAO address from your registration card (yep- the one you carry on the airplane). It's not real obvious what order you press buttons to get the values to change but eventually you'll figure out how to do it. When I did, the N number input was easy but the flight ID is entered as OCT or HECTAL which I had no idea. I found the ICAO address on the registration card but it would only enter the right number of digits when I selected HECTAL.

Those were the tricky ones, the rest of the configuration was pretty straight forward and easy to figure out.

The GTX-335 passed the ADSB-out verification on the first flight. I was flight following with departure control for traffic advisories as I was flying the verification profile. Little bit of heads down time doing two 360s, climbs & descents, N/S and E/W tracks etc. We did a couple squawk changes and the controller said the codes popped up immediately. Altitude was also spot on.

Last edited:
Gotcha

One other little "gotcha" that may crop up.

I would have thought that the altitude corrections would have a preset default to zero, but apparently I don't think like a Garmin programmer. :)

Once you set maximum altitude - 18,000 in my case - the unit defaults to 3 altitude calibration set points. You need to access each of those points and set them to zero correction to make the unit operate.

The required check by a certified avionics station will adjust these zero numbers if needed and based on a VFR or IFR certification.

Hello John,

Have you registered your GTX 335 w/GPS yet?

When you do, you should get a link to a download folder that includes an ~60 Mbyte .zip file that includes a setup.exe file for installing the setup tool. It also provides the latest transponder software and supports loading it.

We do agree with others that you don't need the PC tool to fully setup a GTX 335 using the front panel including AHRS and air data calibration.

If you have any questions, just contact us by phone or email as shown below.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve and all the other input.

Yes, I did register the 335 and now have access to the wizard and the other files.

I am trying to replicate the settings from my 330.

RS-232 IN 2 was configured for FADC W/ALT. This is from the GRT Horizon WS Serial Out 6 for air data (altitude i believe) What is the equivalent in the 335?

ARINC-429 OUT 2A/B was configured for GARMIN W/TIS. This is also connected to the GRT. What would the 335 equivalent be?

Thanks Steve and all the other input.

Yes, I did register the 335 and now have access to the wizard and the other files.

I am trying to replicate the settings from my 330.

RS-232 IN 2 was configured for FADC W/ALT. This is from the GRT Horizon WS Serial Out 6 for air data (altitude i believe) What is the equivalent in the 335?

ARINC-429 OUT 2A/B was configured for GARMIN W/TIS. This is also connected to the GRT. What would the 335 equivalent be?

Hello John,

Try "ALT FMT 3 25 ft" for the RS-232 altitude input and "FORMAT 8" for the A429 TIS-A traffic output.

Thanks,
Steve

Is this a common problem with the 335? Did Garmin fix your issue with it not going into ground mode? Or are you still dealing with the problem?

Hello John,

First off, we encourage you to get newer software (V2.12 is current now) if you have not already. We have made continual improvements in the logic in the GTX 3X5 series transponder that sets the transmitted status to "in air" or "on ground". We provided free updates to V2.12 at Oshkosh this year to anyone with a homebuilt who walked up with a GTX 3X5.

For aircraft with a gear squat switch, it is a no-brainer for the transponder to always know when it is on ground or airborne. For all us us with homebuilts that don't have a squat switch (almost everyone), the transponder has pretty complex logic considering all available data such as airspeed, ground speed, altitude changes, etc to make the best possible decision regarding whether the aircraft is still airborne.

The regulatory authorities never want to see any transponder reporting an aircraft is on the ground when it is in the air, so it is very important to err on the side of reporting the aircraft is airborne if there is any question.

As you know, some aircraft can not only fly very slowly, but can fly with zero ground speed in some conditions, so the transponder has to be very clever in determining when the aircraft has landed, and when it has not. Again, it can never transmit an on-ground status unless there is good assurance it is really on the ground.

We fly an RV-7A with a GTX 345R, and frequently request ADS-B compliance reports to see what the FAA sees. As you know, these reports have a section called "Air On Ground" which is a comparison of what the FAA computer thinks your air/ground status is compared to what your transponder is transmitting. Unlike the transponder which doesn't have an airport or terrain database, the FAA computer probably knows the airport elevation and can use that information in combination with the transmitted pressure altitude and GPS altitude to determine when an aircraft is on the ground.

We have never seen a problem with late air-to-ground status transitions with our RV-7A (even back to GTX V2.03), and we seldom totally stop the plane on the runway, and certainly don't switch the transponder to standby. It is very common for the Air On Ground % Fail in our reports to be 0% or very close to that.

I will say that like any good "A" model driver, we exit the runway slowly and taxi very slowly all the way back to parking, which gives the transponder plenty of time to determine we have landed and switch to reporting ground mode - typically before even leaving the runway.

In the past when people have seen high % Fail numbers in the Air On Ground section of the report, the plane has often landed and exited the runway pretty fast. Those customers have always been able to get a passing "score" by taking it easy after landing.

Please contact us by phone or email shown below if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steve

I know this is an old thread

I registered my GTX 335 and contacted Garmin asking about where to download the setup wizard.

This is the reply:
Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

If you are referring to the GTX install tool, that is available on the Garmin Dealer Resource Center at www.dealers.garmin.com/drc/. This is only accessible by Garmin dealers.

Best Regards,

Garmin Aviation Field Service Engineer

Did Garmin change and only allow dealers access to it now?

Checking in on this as I'm just getting my 335 installed and powered up. Is there a config tool? When I bought the components, the Av shop said the USB was to connect to my computer to configure things. When I reached out to Garmin today because I was having a registration problem on the website, the person said there's not a tool and you just configure everything on the device itself.

Back