What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing root fairings-etc

Video

There is a really good You Tube video on how to build/install the fairings...

Sorry, but I don't have the link.

I would love to see how you line up the leg fairings so they are the same. I’m going to build my own transition fairings but getting the legs the same is not something I have figured out yet.

where you install the screws; you can take some pictures at the end of installation

Pic attached from the test fitting. You install counter-sunk nutplates on the inboard flange of the tank and wing skins, then dimple the fairings and use counter-sunk #8 screws.

EDIT: I may have mis-understood which fairing you were talking about. Did you mean the transition fairings from the gear leg to the fuselage? Pic attached for that too. I ended up going with 3 screws for these fairings. The front hole goes through the cowl and picks up the lowest 1/4 turn fastener hole. For the rear hole, I drilled through the fuse on the curved section below the longeron and pop rivetted in a nut plate. The clecos into the gear leg fairing were filled in and not used, I just needed them during layup to hold things a little better. There's one more hole on the underside that goes through the lower skin of the fuse and into a nut plate I installed in the floor. I know a lot of people just tie the rear of the fairing together with a piece of safety wire, but I never liked the way that looked and decided to go with screws instead.

I would love to see how you line up the leg fairings so they are the same. I’m going to build my own transition fairings but getting the legs the same is not something I have figured out yet.

Gear leg fairings do the following:

Level the aircraft front/rear and left/right using the longerons as a reference.
Use plumb-bob's to drop a centerline down the airplane from nose to tail.
Drop a plumb-bob from somewhere near the top of the gear leg and measure distance to centerline.
Repeat somewhere near the bottom of the gear leg.
Put a pieces of wood vertical near the tail the same distance from the centerline as your two measurements.
Put a string around the front of the gear leg fairing and pull it back to the piece of wood, keeping it level.
Measure the distance from the string to the back of the gear leg fairing on both sides and adjust until its the same.
Checking the top and bottom of the fairing makes sure there's no twist. Van's instructions are pretty detailed about how to do this, pic attached to show my setup.

For the transition fairings, I started with a set from rvbits.com and glassed them in to the stock van's wheel pants.

First flight should hopefully be this weekend, and then I have to break in the engine. I'll be re-installing all these fairings in about a week or so once the engine break-in is complete and will take "final" install pics then. This stuff all looks much better after final sanding and a coat of primer.

Attachments

• PXL_20210926_224644180.jpeg
    PXL_20210926_224644180.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 206
  • PXL_20210915_044836103.jpeg
    PXL_20210915_044836103.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 184
  • PXL_20210909_022219827.jpeg
    PXL_20210909_022219827.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 178
  • PXL_20220204_024212932.jpeg
    PXL_20220204_024212932.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1179.jpeg
    IMG_1179.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Hey Paul,
Thanks for the pictures and explanation on how to get my gear leg fairings lined up. Im going to head over to the airport today and see if I can get things figured out so I can start working on the legs as soon as it gets warm enough here in Michigan. Mine is an A model but after reading your notes it looks like it should be about the same. Thanks again.

Pic attached from the test fitting. You install counter-sunk nutplates on the inboard flange of the tank and wing skins, then dimple the fairings and use counter-sunk #8 screws.

EDIT: I may have mis-understood which fairing you were talking about. Did you mean the transition fairings from the gear leg to the fuselage? Pic attached for that too. I ended up going with 3 screws for these fairings. The front hole goes through the cowl and picks up the lowest 1/4 turn fastener hole. For the rear hole, I drilled through the fuse on the curved section below the longeron and pop rivetted in a nut plate. The clecos into the gear leg fairing were filled in and not used, I just needed them during layup to hold things a little better. There's one more hole on the underside that goes through the lower skin of the fuse and into a nut plate I installed in the floor. I know a lot of people just tie the rear of the fairing together with a piece of safety wire, but I never liked the way that looked and decided to go with screws instead.

Gear leg fairings do the following:

Level the aircraft front/rear and left/right using the longerons as a reference.
Use plumb-bob's to drop a centerline down the airplane from nose to tail.
Drop a plumb-bob from somewhere near the top of the gear leg and measure distance to centerline.
Repeat somewhere near the bottom of the gear leg.
Put a pieces of wood vertical near the tail the same distance from the centerline as your two measurements.
Put a string around the front of the gear leg fairing and pull it back to the piece of wood, keeping it level.
Measure the distance from the string to the back of the gear leg fairing on both sides and adjust until its the same.
Checking the top and bottom of the fairing makes sure there's no twist. Van's instructions are pretty detailed about how to do this, pic attached to show my setup.

For the transition fairings, I started with a set from rvbits.com and glassed them in to the stock van's wheel pants.

First flight should hopefully be this weekend, and then I have to break in the engine. I'll be re-installing all these fairings in about a week or so once the engine break-in is complete and will take "final" install pics then. This stuff all looks much better after final sanding and a coat of primer.
Thank you for the pictures , but I'm looking some good quality pictures about this fairing https://fairings-etc.com/wing-root-fairings because the quality of the pictures in the website is not really good

The guy who started this did a empennage fairing using my RV4 when I was based at Arlington WA. It's my plane in the photos. He had no business and just helped out a few RV'ers. From this he made a business making fairings. He sold the business to another party. My fairing fit perfect because he laid it up on my plane.

You have to be careful in that there are small differences in planes that can make fairings not fit well.... as all builders know with van's stock fairings.

I also had fiberglass wing root fairings on my RV-4 (from Van's). Before I painted the plane I took them off. Never liked the look. I put the metal and rubber strip on, for wing to fuselage gap. Much cleaner. I never got any speed measurements from the fiberglass fairing, because I also had no gear leg and wheel pant fairings on. If you really do a nice job and have a nice fillet going over entire wing and past trailing edge that is smooth with no lips it might add some "micro knots".

Last edited:
The guy who started this ( Bob Snedaker ) laid up my empennage fairing using my RV4, when I was based at Arlington WA. It's my plane in the photos for RV4. From this he made a business out of it making fairings. He sold the business to another party.

The RV4 intersection fairing pictures are my old RV-4. He again laid them up on my plane, fuselage and wheel pant sides. The wheel pant fairings were bonded in and split along the wheel pant halves side. Those wheel pants are Van's first two piece wheel pants, before the current larger two piece wheel pants came out. So those pictures are the older wheel pants. I like the way the look better.

You have to be careful in that there are small differences in planes that can make fairings not fit so well.... as all builders know with van's stock fairings.

I also had fiberglass wing root fairings (from Van's). Before I painted the plane I put the metal strip and rubber strip wing to fuselage set up on. Much cleaner. I never got any speed from the fiberglass fairing. If you really do a nice job and have a nice fillet going over entire wing and past trailing edge that is smooth with no lips it might add some "micro knots".

Last edited:
Back