What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DR Slow Mo Videos

goatflieg

Well Known Member
Doug, I'm really glad you shared those slow-mo videos. The tripod made the tracking perfect, and I never thought I'd hear an RV sound like a helicopter. Very cool. After starting the day in odious fashion (paying bills), this was just the inspiration I needed to get out to the shop and get back to work. Thanks again!

You're very welcome Martin!

If you haven't seen them, the links are (they are on the front page in the 1/3/2020 edition of VansAirForce.net):

I think with proper tension on the tripod and more practice I can swivel the action a little smoother and keep the RV better centered. 52mm f/2 2X optical zoom lens that came standard in the phone standing 135 feet from the centerline (measured on GoogleMaps). Pretty impressive technology for a phone. ;^)

I was discussing with a friend what a YouTube presence for me might look like down the road, and I thought no-talking videos of RVs taking off and landing in slo mo and real time would be a nice niche that I haven't seen done to death. I'm informally researching what proper equipment would add to the experience (rocker zoom, etc), but I'm going to try to do some more and see if I can get better at it using what I've got for now <g>. We'll see...fun to think about.

Glad you enjoyed it.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
That's all good, but I particularly like the specific airplane you chose to post on the front page...

"Crazy Woman"!

Slow Mo

I too was surprised that the planes sounded like Helicopters.
Thanks for the great video of my RV-8. 😎

What's your frames/sec capture rate vs play rate?

You're going to laugh, but it's a stock iPhone 11 and its camera app (using the 'slo mo' configuration). The hard part is getting the pilots to take off and land perpendicular to where you're standing (it's only a 2X optical zoom) ;^)

Last edited:
The hard part is getting the pilots to take off and land perpendicular to where you're standing (it's only a 2X optical zoom) ;^)
No matter what you're trying to accomplish, whether its building a bridge to Hawaii or making a grilled cheese sandwich, getting other people to do what you ask, and do it the way you want it done and do it when you want it done is always the hard part. :)

Back