What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bow in Stiffeners?

Jimd

Well Known Member
Question about the RV-10 HS.

There is a moderate bow in the HS-1013, 1014, 1015 stiffeners due to the forming/punching process. These parts could probably be clecoed in place the way they are for match drilling, and even riveted. Or do most builders straighten them? For straightening, do you just lean on them or flute (these parts seem a bit to short in the leg and thick/heavy for fluting to work well). It seems like fluting could cause misalignment of the prepunched holes?

Sorry for the noob question, I'm new to this fancy prepunched world! ;)

Jim

I clecoed them in place and then match drilled. No problems. Use plenty of clamps while match drilling.

Page 8-5, Step 2, Para 2, Sentence 2..

..says, "the spar cap (Ref. to HS-1013s) is somewhat bowed as supplied, so use plenty of clamps to make sure the spar cap is tight against the spar web and flange while drilling." I think this works because they are nested against the flange of the HS-1002.

However, don't feel silly asking this. You are right to question it, as there are some spots where Vans tell you to straighten things out, and others, where you are the judge/jury. For instance, my HS-1007 was bowed too. I straightened that out because it's supposed to be flat and this was an easy piece to get flat (i.e. no flanges on it). Consider what the part is doing, and whether or not it could possibly induce twist into the finished assembly. If so, straightening could be a good thing. Also, be sure to really de-burr those thick, punched parts well. KPTR!

Thanks guys! Helps me a bunch, especially the reference to the plans. I was about one paragraph from there when I decided to ask, while putting the tapper on each stiffener.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Back