What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 G3X Touch Panel Walkthru

Very nice video Ed, I really like the detail you go into. How did you get the carbon dioxide alert to flash on your PFD? I have my cabin and baggage door switches set to display on my PFD but have not seen them flash.

Thanks

This is great, thanks for posting. Any chance you have a higher quality video you can upload to youtube? This one, though seemingly 1080p, is rather hazy.

Thanks again!

Really nice work, Ed.

..I just watched it in its entirety. Very informative. I really like your panel set up. You've made me reconsider some things, regarding remote mounting. I also really liked your control stick functionality. I have no experience with Arduino controllers, but am somewhat familiar with Adafruit.com. I'm assuming you used something like that for controlling your lighting and potentially servos too. Can you send me more information on that stuff? ppilotmike at gmail dot com I've still got a lot of work to get to that point, but I want to be thinking/planning ahead..

Last edited:
Awesome job Ed! Watching stuff like this makes me even more motivated to keep trudging through all this wiring. Doing a very similar setup and configuration as yours, and very excited to get it in the air!

One question, in your dual Lightspeed/key switch setup, how did you feed power from the main battery to your ignition boxes? Are they connected to the switched side of the master solenoid? I've considered going this route myself, but the instructions seem pretty specific about connecting directly to the battery, which would then require additional "ignition master" toggles. Curious about your thoughts on that.

Very nice video Ed, I really like the detail you go into. How did you get the carbon dioxide alert to flash on your PFD? I have my cabin and baggage door switches set to display on my PFD but have not seen them flash.

Thanks

The CO detector is a Flight Data Systems GD-40. It has a serial connection to the PFD. The system will warn of high CO levels by flashing the screen as shown in the video, and by an audio alert over the intercom. I can also display CO in parts per million on the screen's top data bar if I so desired.

As for the cabin and baggage door switches, when any door is opened, 12v is sent to one of the G3X discrete inputs. This is defined as a door in the system. If a door is open, it shows up as a yellow caution annunciation. If the RPMs go above a certain number, like for take off, it flashes red and gives an audible alert.

This is great, thanks for posting. Any chance you have a higher quality video you can upload to youtube? This one, though seemingly 1080p, is rather hazy.

Thanks again!

I know exactly what you mean. I was very disappointed in the video quality that I got out of the camera... so unfortunately this is as good as the source video is.

I may reshoot it in the future, or maybe just a quick 5 minute overview that I shoot in 4k (once I save up for one of those freaking awesome Garmin Virb Ultra 30s!!! Maybe Garmin might get me one for Christmas :D )

I have no experience with Arduino controllers, but am somewhat familiar with Adafruit.com. I'm assuming you used something like that for controlling your lighting and potentially servos too.

I'm using an Arduino to control all the heat servos. I'm basically just using it as a 5 channel servo controller, with cheap potentiometers as control inputs. One bit of advice if you do this is get higher end servos, and use a quality power source that can deliver all the amperage that the servos might need.

I go into pretty good detail on my lighting system in this blog post: http://www.goodplaneliving.com/interior-lighting-system-part-1/

One question, in your dual Lightspeed/key switch setup, how did you feed power from the main battery to your ignition boxes? Are they connected to the switched side of the master solenoid? I've considered going this route myself, but the instructions seem pretty specific about connecting directly to the battery, which would then require additional "ignition master" toggles. Curious about your thoughts on that.

I ran the power for the Lightspeed boxes as called for in the instructions, directly from the battery post to the pullable breaker to the control box. The ignition that I've got the TCW IBBS on is the same, with the IBBS wired inbetween the pullable breaker and the control box (as shown on the IBBS manual). I'm using my key switch wired as described in the LSE install manual.

Thanks again!

It was very clear on my computer at 720P. I suspect you may have a bandwidth constraint that is causing the hazy look. Try running a speed test (google speakeasy).

Back