What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing GTX 327 w/ GTX 35R

Jimd

Well Known Member
Just starting to look at the install doc and will be heading to the hangar this morning to start the process of replacing my 327 with a 35R.

I think this may be a "popular" project and thought I would start a thread.

I will start by asking if anyone has done this and if there are any tips?

Also, I don't know much about the certification process, from what I understand I will need to perform a test flight and submit a report? Is this done online?

Is my transponder already "identified" as me/my airplane or does that happen as part of the test flight and report mentioned above?

Jim

Your -327 has a hex ID programmed into it that is unique to your aircraft N number. It is easily changed or removed and subsequently can be easily programmed into the new transponder.

You will need to have another 24-month pitot/static/transponder check (also called a VFR or IFR cert) performed to ensure the new transponder is outputting the right amount of power, correct mode C/S data, and the correct hex code for your aircraft. Make a logbook entry for the transponder replacement and the avionics shop will give you a logbook entry for the 24-month check.

For the ADS-B out component, you'll select a few settings relating to your interfaced equipment and airplane and enter your tail number. After you do a 1hr or so flight with some period of being level for awhile, you can go to the FAA website and request an ADS-B report from the automated system.

Last edited:
Trevor,

I didn't realize there was anything unique about the 327? I'm pretty sure it is not mode S. Are there newer versions of the 327 that are mode S with a unique ID tied to the aircraft? If mine is so, it seems like something I should reset to a default before I pull it out? How do I do that?

Thanks,

Jim

Did you register for the FAA rebate prior to buying the new equipment? If so there are specific test procedures called out to get the money, mostly flying for 30 minutes in 'rule' airspace (airspace where ADSB will be required by 'rule' in 2020) doing turns, climbs, etc. If you did not register for the rebate, just fly a few turns, climbs, etc., within range of a ground station. Afterwards, go on-line and request a report. There should be no red boxes. Nothing to send in, you should be all set as far as ADSB.
As above, the new transponder has to be ground tested by someone with the right equipment and rating.
Get your hex code off the FAA registration web site. You'll need to enter that, unless your box calculates it for you. I do not believe it is in your 327, which is mode C.

Trevor,

I didn't realize there was anything unique about the 327? I'm pretty sure it is not mode S. Are there newer versions of the 327 that are mode S with a unique ID tied to the aircraft? If mine is so, it seems like something I should reset to a default before I pull it out? How do I do that?

Thanks,

Jim

You are right, the -327 is Mode-C only, I was thinking of the -330 which is Mode-S. Your-327 doesn't have a unique hex programmed. I think you press and hold the FUNC key while turning the unit on to enter Config mode. If I remember right, you can then toggle through all the settings using the Start/Stop and CLR buttons.

Sounds good guys!

Bob, it is my very limited understanding but I don't think as an experimental install I am able for the faa rebate.

Thanks for the info!

Jim

Sounds good guys!

Bob, it is my very limited understanding but I don't think as an experimental install I am able for the faa rebate.

Thanks for the info!

Jim

This is not correct. What is true is that you have to install TSO'd equipment to get the rebate.
It may not be too late. Go to the FAA rebate web site. Sign up and tell them you intend to install a 35R, and have an approximate installment date of 15 Nov (not yet done). You may install it yourself in an EAB. Then install it, have it inspected and signed off, and test fly it as per the rules. Send in the reports and you should get the &500.

It all works!

Bob,

Special thanks for the heads up on the rebate! I flew the test this afternoon and submitted for the report and it all passed!

Thanks!

TSO?

This is not correct. What is true is that you have to install TSO'd equipment to get the rebate.
It may not be too late. Go to the FAA rebate web site. Sign up and tell them you intend to install a 35R, and have an approximate installment date of 15 Nov (not yet done). You may install it yourself in an EAB. Then install it, have it inspected and signed off, and test fly it as per the rules. Send in the reports and you should get the &500.

Errr... I don't think the 35R is actually TSO'd.

It meets the TSO specs but is for Experimental aircraft only -

As a remote-mounted transponder, GTX 35R makes installation easy, saves you valuable panel space in your experimental or light sport aircraft and integrates seamlessly into your flight deck. Manage squawk code entry and transponder control with only a few touches of your G3X series flight display.

According to information I have found the equipment does not need to have an actual TSO, it needs only needs to meet the standard required for the TSO.

Jim

As a remote-mounted transponder, GTX 35R makes installation easy, saves you valuable panel space in your experimental or light sport aircraft and integrates seamlessly into your flight deck. Manage squawk code entry and transponder control with only a few touches of your G3X series flight display.

Easy enough to check. When you sign up for the rebate you have to choose what equipment you're installing from a pull down list. If it's on the list it is approved.

Actually both the 35R and 45R are fully TSO'd units.

According to information I have found the equipment does not need to have an actual TSO, it needs only needs to meet the standard required for the TSO.

Jim

That's the rule to install it in an EAB. But only TSO's equipment is approved to get a rebate. I cannot explain the logic here.

The 35R is in the list and the only thing I have left to do is wait for the rebate check to show up in my mailbox.

Back