What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans LED light strip?

Jimd

Well Known Member
Guys,

Are there instruction that come with the "under glare shield" LED light strip?

I have them and am getting ready to install, but I can't find an instruction sheet. Not sure that there is/was one?

My question is can and how to shorten the strip overall length? The short description indicates that they CAN be trimmed.

Here is the vans part number.
Part Number = LC LED STRIP RED/WHT

For those who have installed them, how did you get thru the panel with the three wires? This question is really why I would want to shorten them. That way the end of the strip with the wires might be hidden under the glare shield. If I leave them full length, each end is going to be visible as it will curve around and down toward the side walls.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jim

Last edited:
Sorry for the fuzzy out-of-focus pic, this is one where I was just playing with the camera but happened to capture the part you were interested in. I simply punched a small hole in the panel and put a grommet in it, then passed the wires through. I can tell you I've never even noticed it in the panel since the day I installed it.

73a57bfa-67da-4c5f-b9fd-3b85d401c39c_zps5ppiir8x.jpg

Nice..

Thanks, that helps. I'm sure it is one of those things just as you mentioned, do it and stop worrying about.

Jim

Jim,

I installed the LC LED STRIP RED in my RV-6. Being just one color, it only has two wires. I brought them out at the upper edge of the panel against the underside of the glareshield.

I do see the end of the strip on the far right side. That can be shielded from view by a bit of self adhesive weatherstrip if you feel the need. You'll still get the light on the panel if you place the weatherstrip aft of the lightstrip.

Most LED strips have cut lines marked on them and should be cut there when shortening. Not sure about the strip from Van's without making a trip to the airport look at it.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF A&P

Back