What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wichita Airports

douglassmt

Well Known Member
I am planning a trip to Wichita next week and the people I'm staying with are a stones throw from Jabara Airport (AAO). Can someone tell me if it is a good GA airport? Fuel prices probably won't be an issue as I'll be stopping enroute for fuel and only going a short distance after. Any local intel would be appreciated.

Jabara is OK, you shouldn't have too many problems dealing with the airport people there.

A really neat local GA airport to visit is Stearman field (1K1). It's about 10 miles to the east, and has a much more GA-friendly feel to it. There are about 10 Stearmans on the field, as well as a pretty vast collection of vintage and experimental airplanes and pilots willing to talk to you. They also have a cool little aviation-themed cafe at the end of the runway.

Depends on what you want for tiedown/hangar provisions, rental car, etc. You can tie down free at a couple local airports, but rental cars aren't available at those places.

Jabara is a nice airport, but spendy for gas and tiedowns. They cater mostly to the corporate jet crowd.

Stearman (1K1) is a great little airport where you can tie down free, with a good GA atmosphere and a great restaurant, but no rental cars on site. About a 15 minute drive from Jabara.

There are others, depending on what you want. Feel free to PM or email and we can chat, if you'd like.

I'll echo others - Jabara worked really well for me a couple of months ago when I dropped in for business - easy rental car, friendly, convenient tie-down, and didn't treat me like a poor guy just because I wasn't flying a business jet. Stearman was a great place to go for lunch and to watch airplanes!

Back