- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:39 PM

Default Problems with my Garmin GMA 240 audio panel

I was doing some pattern work in my RV-10 today, and I was hearing a noise like someone was keying their mic. I would sometimes hear this at night when someone was trying to light up the runway lights, but this was in broad daylight with only one other plane in the pattern. I finally deduced that I was the only one hearing this, and that's when I noticed all the lights on the GMA 240 panel would flash in unison when I heard this noise.

Obviously there's something screwy with the audio panel. I have no idea what it could be or how to fix it. Any ideas?
Build #41389, started Oct 2012
Current status: 1st Flight 11/10/17
50 hour oil change: 8/29/19
Old 01-23-2021, 04:30 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

First thing I’d do is pull it out and re-seat it - might be a loose connection, or a little corrosion on a contact.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-23-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinMichigan View Post
I was doing some pattern work in my RV-10 today, and I was hearing a noise like someone was keying their mic. I would sometimes hear this at night when someone was trying to light up the runway lights, but this was in broad daylight with only one other plane in the pattern. I finally deduced that I was the only one hearing this, and that's when I noticed all the lights on the GMA 240 panel would flash in unison when I heard this noise.

Obviously there's something screwy with the audio panel. I have no idea what it could be or how to fix it. Any ideas?
Jack,

The flashing lights may mean that the power connection to the GMA 240 is unreliable, so check that the power connection to the circuit protection device is secure.

The GMA 240 is pretty bullet-proof, so probably something simple.

Steve