What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0 320 /prop combo???

jim plaster

Well Known Member
Just finished rebuilding a friends 0320 (carbed) on an rv-8 he purchased several months ago. Previous owner had installed a Hartzell 70x80 on the airplane and complained of insufficient power and static rpm as well as in flight rpm. Static right now is 2000 of a possible 2700, and suspected in flight will be around 2300 as it was before.. What props are you rv-8 guys using carbed 320's using? This Hartzell seems a bit stout for the 320

I run an Ed Sterba 68-74 wooden prop on my RV9A with a Lycoming O-320 E3D 150 HP carbed engine. In flight I can get around 2550 rpm. For the price I am pleased with this combination.

I agree with Jim, replace that thing with a wood prop. Contact Craig Catto (http://cattoprops.com/), he will set you up.

BTW, you cannot compare props from one manufacture to another since they all use different methods to calculate pitch.

RV-8 with a 150HP O-320 ...

The plane started with a Aymar Demuth 68-71. It now has a Catto two blade 70-72 with nickel leading edges.

You can read all the performance details between these two propellers in my write up from last summer.

Prop

The Vans book list Sensenich metal props for an 032 From 150 bhp. to 160 bhp. in the 70" 77 to 70" 80, I agree with the others here. Each set up sometimes may take one size up or down. If you happen to be around Twin lakes airport I would be glad to show you the accessories catalop.
Yours as always R.E.A. III # 80888

prop update..

After the engine install test runs were done at static prior to flight. The airplane had a Sen. prop on it (my mistake thinking it was a Hartzell). Static rpm was 1950 indicated,2150 usind a digital tach. Took the prop to a local shop to verify that 80" was the correct pitch on the prop we had,it was. The shop had a loaner 79" pitch so we bolted her up, then got 2200 on the digital tach...we're getting there! Then had the guys repitch the 80" to a 76".....BINGO !!! 2350-2400 static rpm and close to the 2600 in level flight! aircraft is based at 8A7..Twin Lakes

Hi Jim glad to hear you got the propeller straightened out. I'm curious what happened with the Top speed of the RV with the repitched propeller?

Bill

After the engine install test runs were done at static prior to flight. The airplane had a Sen. prop on it (my mistake thinking it was a Hartzell). Static rpm was 1950 indicated,2150 usind a digital tach. Took the prop to a local shop to verify that 80" was the correct pitch on the prop we had,it was. The shop had a loaner 79" pitch so we bolted her up, then got 2200 on the digital tach...we're getting there! Then had the guys repitch the 80" to a 76".....BINGO !!! 2350-2400 static rpm and close to the 2600 in level flight! aircraft is based at 8A7..Twin Lakes

Sounds like your aircraft tach may be closer to accurate. It indicated 100 lower than the digital tach. 2350-2400 is high for static rpm with the metal Sensenich, but if you subtract 100 rpm, 2250-2300 is what I would expect to see static....if your prop is the one recommended by Vans. 70CM7S9-0 (77)

I flew that prop when my O-320 was 150hp, then repitched it to 80" when the engine was rebuilt to 160hp. 80" is a cruise prop on the 160hp.

Back