What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New P-Mag issue

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
So I had plans to fly out pick up some fuel and then head to the coast for some dinner, well I only made it to the fuel part.

First start of the day was completely normal no issues, the run up was the same, normal 80 rpm on both mags. Take off fly 15 min, fuel up and go to start, first time it won't start, second it starts but dies a second or so later, thir time it start but is running rough. I play with the throttle to get things to smooth out but no luck, do a mag check at idel and when I turned the right mag off, the engine died, quickly flip it back on and it stays running. Left mag was fine. Bumped the rpms up to 1600 and did another mag check, both are normal, 80 rpm drop.

Another interesting thing that's been going on is the rpm indication fluctuates at idle. It will range from normal rpm 700 to over 5000 rpm, you jockey the throttle a bit and it returns to normal. I'm going to call emag tomorrow but I figured I would see if anyone had an idea before I call.

Thx.

This is strait from the trouble shooting guide perhaps it will help;

1. Sensor Magnet Range Check - Every time the ignition powers up, the ignition first performs a self-test to verify the sensor magnet is within an acceptable range. If the Range Check passes, the ignition proceeds with initialization (no LED signal). If the Range Check fails, it will proceed no further and will signal an alert with a pulsing (approx. 1 every quarter sec) YELLOW LED. From the operators perspective it will appear as a non-operative ignition. The flashing YELLOW will continue until the infraction clears or the unit is powered OFF. No record of the alert remains after power OFF.

2. Successful Start UP ? Next, the ignition will signal a successful start-up with an LED colour burst. The colour burst will occur immediately after power up and will appear as a quick pulse of RED and a quick pulse of GREEN ? any overlap of the two may appear as YELLOW. At this point the ignition is active and ready for service. The colour burst is very brief. To see it you?ll need to be staring at the LED when you power up.

3. If the p-lead was grounded PRIOR to power up and REMAINS grounded, the ignition will light the LED steady RED or steady GREEN (after the step 2 colour burst). The colour will depend on engine position relative to the ignition index. If the p-lead was not grounded, the LED will go dark after the colour burst. Setting timing and the rules for setup mode are discussed in more detail in the manual.

4. Should the ignition later detect a sensor magnet position infraction, after a successful start-up, it will NOT interrupt ignition operation. It will continue to fire plugs and perform all operational tasks. But it will signal the infraction by lighting the LED steady YELLOW (no pulsing). The yellow signal will remain until the condition clears or the ignition is powered OFF. No record of the infraction remains after power OFF. The next time the ignition is powered ON the process starts over again with step 1.

Cheers

tighten wire on connector

I was having some of the same problems after talking with brad.... the plug that you hook up the wires,in the install of the pmag.. and the plug under that plug has three wires that fire the coils in the pmag.. check the wires one of mine was loose and you could pull out was not tight.. remove the plug and tighten the wires just like the plug above. the plane seems to be running great now
Tim

So I had plans to fly out pick up some fuel and then head to the coast for some dinner, well I only made it to the fuel part.

First start of the day was completely normal no issues, the run up was the same, normal 80 rpm on both mags. Take off fly 15 min, fuel up and go to start, first time it won't start, second it starts but dies a second or so later, thir time it start but is running rough. I play with the throttle to get things to smooth out but no luck, do a mag check at idel and when I turned the right mag off, the engine died, quickly flip it back on and it stays running. Left mag was fine. Bumped the rpms up to 1600 and did another mag check, both are normal, 80 rpm drop.

Another interesting thing that's been going on is the rpm indication fluctuates at idle. It will range from normal rpm 700 to over 5000 rpm, you jockey the throttle a bit and it returns to normal. I'm going to call emag tomorrow but I figured I would see if anyone had an idea before I call.

Thx.

I'm curious, which model P-Mags,,?? 113 or 114??

Check the 12v wire going into the Pmag. Sounds like a loose wire.Must have 12v for the mag to run below about 800-1000 rpm. After that the P114 Pmag internal voltage takes over.That's why a mag check at 1800 runs normal.
If your picking up the tach from the one with the loose wire it will be erratic until the internal 12v kicks in. Or could be a loose tach output wire at the mag.
Hope this helps.
Rich

Check the 12v wire going into the Pmag. Sounds like a loose wire.Must have 12v for the mag to run below about 800-1000 rpm. After that the P114 Pmag internal voltage takes over.That's why a mag check at 1800 runs normal.
If your picking up the tach from the one with the loose wire it will be erratic until the internal 12v kicks in. Or could be a loose tach output wire at the mag.
Hope this helps.
Rich

This is spot on. Exactly what brad had said. After I got home and took the cowls off I found that the plug on the right mag was loose. The set screw on the inside had come loose and through vibration wiggled its way about half way out. Push the plug back in, tighten the set screw and all is normal. Once again it's the small things that will confuse you but I'm glad it was an easy fix. Brad was great to deal with and is incredibly knowledgable.

-David

Back