What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFly 720 mounting question

Don

Well Known Member
This week my KMD-150 gave up the ghost. Instead of a dead battery error message (battery has been changed) I got a blank screen after it boots up. The screen works but the map never comes up. So, the question is fix it or replace it? I'm leaning strongly to the latter.

The iFly 720 will do all the KMD-150 would do and more (ADS-b) and it will fit over the hole left by the now defunct GPS. The iFly 720 is a bit wider than my radio stack (an inch I think) and it will fit, but not with the AirGizmo mount. So I'm looking for ways to mount it to the panel without cutting a new hole. If someone has crossed this bridge, I'd love to see how you did it.

My thought at this time is to put the $10 ram mount made for the iFly 720 and then figure out how to mount the rest of the ram mount where the KMD 150 used to be. If I do it right, it should fully cover the hole and look decent, though not perfect (too wide - but it won't interfere with anything).

I'm not concerned about removing the unit, since it can be updated with either a thumb drive or an SD card. I'd also like to have permanently wired for power (not just plugged into a power outlet) and wired to the Digitrack AP. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Don,

I had a similar situation and fabricated a box out of aluminum angle and sheet for the iFly. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send a pic.

I'd also like to have permanently wired for power (not just plugged into a power outlet) and wired to the Digitrack AP. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Don,

You will enjoy using the IFly, it has a superb user interface.

The device will handle 12vdc so you can remove the plug from the power cable and hard wire to avionics bus. A USB/serial adapter cable will provide the data out to Your DigiTrak. It'll be a nice system, the IFly drives my Trio ProPilot flawlessly.

I made an aluminum box and mounted it in the radio shack. I then mounted a Ram mount inside the open box. It lets me move the 720 around some and the aux. battery and cords fit in the box behind the unit.
DSCN2776_000.jpg
DSCN2780_000.jpg

DSC00371.jpg

Last edited:
I used velcro on the RV-10

Just used industrial strength velcro --- I use the external battery and run ships power to the battery and then use the battery on-off switch for the 720 --- love it!

vents

I got them from Stein. I think he only sells one premium brand. They are great and will shut off completely.

Jim, The RAM mount I am familiar with has 2 one inch balls (31/32" actually) that have a clamp that is tightened with a knob. I don't have a photo but I can get one tomorrow. Anyway, the clamp would be inside the box and with the unit in place there'd be no way to tighten it. So, I like what you did but I don't understand how it works. The ability to remove the unit for updating it is nice but not essential since I could use either the SD card or a thumb drive.

I really like what I see. Is the RAM mount you used the one that iFly sells for $19? If so, what are you attaching it to (it isn't clear from the photos...or maybe I'm being dense)?

Sam, Thanks for your comments. The description of the unit makes it seem perfect for VFR use. It's bright, intuitive interface, large screen, battery back up, ADS-b compatible, will drive an autopilot, and more.

Don

Mine is just what you described. It is tightened enough to stay put but loose enough to move over and get your hand behind. Maybe not the ideal way but I couldn't find anything better at the time and it actually works pretty well. I just wish the power cord and USB plugged into the back of the unit instead of the side. I may make a new panel at some point that will accept the Airgizmo mount. It wasn't available at the time.

Back