What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder wedge

Dennis Harm

Hi everyone, flying my Rv14A with about 14 hours so far and in level flight I’m seeing about a full left ball . Anyone else have this problem?

Are your wheel pants and gear leg fairings on? You may want to wait to do anything until they are. Mine flies ball centred at all cruise power settings. Not sure that this is the norm though. I know of one other 14 that requires a large trim tab correction on the right side and it was identified that the trailing edge of the rudder was offset slightly to the left the entire length of the rudder. It doesn't take much. I presume that your ailerons are rigged properly and it flies wing level with hands off the stick.

If your wheel pants are on be sure the nosewheel breakout force is set correctly. You could have nosewheel turning to one side in flight.

Thanks for the reply’s, I have the wheel pants on and it flew the same with pants on or off. Will check the nose wheel breakout, thanks Dennis

Hi Dennis, I'm about 7hrs into my RV-14A phase 1 and haven't noticed any bias on the turn coordinator in level flight. I'm flying again today and will confirm. I know Zack's demo RV-14A at New Garden has a small wedge attached to the rudder. Right now I'm flying without the wheel fairings and confirmed the breakout force of 26 lbs with a spring scale before I started phase 1. Did you remember to add the extra washer when installing the vertical stabilizer (pg 11-07)?

Back