What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT props

Ifly12

I am looking for any info about MT Props. I am currently looking at a RV-6 that has a 3 blade MT Prop.

Thank You,

John Thach

MT has had at least two different blade designs sold for RVs over the years. The first ones were much less efficient at cruise speeds than Hartzell props. The cruise speeds were perhaps 10 kt slower than with a Hartzell. The newer MT blade design is much better than the original one, but it still seems to be a few knots slower than the Hartzell.

I had a two blade Hartzell on my RV-8 - the older one with -7666 blades, not the newer blended airfoil one. I switched to a newer three blade MT, with -59b blades, and I lost several knots of cruise speed.

If the absolute fastest cruise speed is important to you, an MT prop might not be the best choice. If you can accept a few knots slower cruise speed, I think they are an excellent choice.

I have an MT 3 blade on my Rocket and absolutely love it, smooth, quiet and performs well. At 55% power i see 215mph religiously at low altitude.

Last edited:
MT prop

I have an MT and the prop itself is great. Where it falls down in the service. We hit a Pheasant last autumn & damaged the blades. It took MT over three months to fix the blades. It seems like 12 weeks is a standard MT repair turnaround time...

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
MT Propeller

There are two commonly used certified manufacturers of constant speed propellers.

The MT Propeller you are asking about should be a MTV-12-B/183-59, or a MTV-12-B/183-59b designation. Both for a Lycoming (I)O-360/390 engine.

The earlier -59 blade design propeller has RPM restrictions around 2200 RPM. The -59b blade design propeller does not have this RPM restriction.

I would guess that the previous owners mission profile was primarily cruising at, or above, 7,500'. This is where the performance advantage goes to the three bladed propeller.

Additionally, when a 2 blade propeller and a 3 blade propeller are dynamically balanced to the same level, in flight the 3 blade MT Propeller is significantly smoother than a metal 2 blade propeller.
This is important from a fatigue standpoint for longer distance cruise and passenger comfort.

Having a smoother operation would not very important for the full throttle full RPM why bother to waste time to climb out of the turbulence macho type pilot. (Gee, I hope I didn’t over characterise this. J )

MT Propeller maintenance can be erratic, depending on customer location. In the USA it is usually pretty good. (Just DON’T tell the maintenance shop they can take their time. Propeller repair and overhaul always need to be done right away!)

Regards,
Jim Ayers

Last edited:
MT 3 Blade updates

2010 was the latest thing I found on the MT 3 blade prop. I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new MT 3 blade at a very good price. I think it is a 72" 12-XXXX but have to recheck. Any new developments since 2010 on performance numbers from anyone. Will be on an RV-8 with an XP-IO360 with Unison Electronic mags.:)

I just put one on my 182 and the smoothness / quietness compared to the McCauley is astonishing, with slightly better performance. I would not hesitate to put one on an RV.

fo234i.jpg

In our dry desert environment, the base of the blades develop span wise wrinkles in the surface due to the shrinking of the wood core. I've watched this on three different props now. RV-3, CTLS, and RV-10. MT says it's not a problem and watching them in service seems to verify that, but I really, really don't like it.

The RV-10 I just adopted has a 3 blade MT. It is very quiet and smooth, but within a month the wrinkles showed up. The prop will be for sale as soon as my new prop shows up. Admittedly, some of that is that I just don't like 3 blades and the price of MT props makes it such that I can perform the swap with little financial loss.

Ultimately, they're probably great props if they meet your mission and preference.
Guy

MT

We went from a 2 blade Hartzell to a modern 3 blade MT on our Pitts S-2A. We lost 10 mph speed, a little climb rate and experienced no change in perceived smoothness. It sure comes down fast though! Also read Vans' experience with an MT on the RV-9, which needed early and expensive overhaul IIRC. They replaced the MT with a Hartzell. All of Hartzells in our planes have been reliable and durable, although one had to be replaced after more than 4000 hours due to a hub AD. YMMV. Good luck with your choice.

Getting good service

I have about 200 hrs on a three blade and fly quite often with a friend using a two blade Hartzell.
Our engines and induction systems are different making it hard to get real numbers but while I can out climb him, he can cruise faster.

This seems to be the consensus from other threads as well.
Pros:
Climbs well
Smooth
Con:
Hot starts with a low mass prop can take a few tries.

Well,

We have had an MT 3 blade on our 7 for 4 years.

I can't think of a better propeller.

Smooth, stunning acceleration and deceleration if you need it.

It may not be the fastest prop, but it is smooth, works really well doing aeros and sounds awesome as you run in !

Looks sexy on the ramp as well.

Re service - the boys in Deland rock - very good service from my experience.

In Europe - Proptech in Portsmouth. Ali Mant is the Gentleman to deal with, very helpful.

Sun n Fun is approaching - go see them and chat, they are very nice people.

WRT crinkles and surface cracking. There was a Service bulletin requiring extra carbon skins overlaying a couple of years back. We had ours done, put 5kts on cruise and no other issues. Check the MT website for details.

Back