What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Speaker Wire! %$#%$#

ty1295

Well Known Member
We work on several aircraft, and last weekend was the 2nd time we have found speaker wire used in an aircraft.

1st time was for Mags, 1 side to each mag.

This plane, we are not sure where it is going yet.

Really?

We work on several aircraft, and last weekend was the 2nd time we have found speaker wire used in an aircraft.

1st time was for Mags, 1 side to each mag.

This plane, we are not sure where it is going yet.

Really?

What kind of speakers? How many watts of power? :D

Ha Ha I aint laughing

I tried to use Cat5e cable for the stick trim switches. that was a joke, had numerous shorts and breaks. DONT DO IT>

I found speaker wire used EVERYWHERE in an airplane I was checking out, even for the engine EGT and CHT sensors. I was amazed they didn't try using them for the spark plugs harness. :eek:

Speaker wire?

And builders worry about cutting a countersink too deep?
Makes you wonder what else is lurking in all those airplanes!
Wow!

I tried to use Cat5e cable for the stick trim switches. that was a joke, had numerous shorts and breaks. DONT DO IT>

If it was stranded Cat-5 you probably would have been fine. But the in-wall stuff is solid and that's going to break too easy in a plane.

Disagree about the Cat5e comment.

The wire we use in aircraft has a higher temperature rating, I'd expect, and abrasion protection. Altogether a different thing.

Dave

I play in the "non-Vans" side of EAB... and I've seen some things that will make you question the survival of the species.

Now, you ALL said monster retreads were just fine, so I just figured monster cable was okay too. Same company, right?

There were a couple of radio announcers talking the other day.
BOTH were in agreement that ''YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID""""
My entry into this jab at life's problems. Art

I play in the "non-Vans" side of EAB... and I've seen some things that will make you question the survival of the species.

Don't have to go EAB for that. There's plenty of Cessnas flying with cheap automotive hook up wire, speaker wire, and God knows what else.

My latest find was new purchase/lease-back that came in with a little tiny un placarded toggle switch at the top of the radio stack. First test flight came back with a squawk for mode C inop. Turns out the "switched" power in to the encoder was via the tiny unmarked toggle switch. ????

Back