camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2022, 10:53 PM

Default Lightspeed headset service

Recently, I set about replacing the damaged cables leading from the two plugs in my 12-y-o Zulu 1. The project immediately went off the rails while disassembling the case of the control box, as the tiny volume sliders popped out and bounced off my bench, never to be seen again. If you can no longer control the audio volume, it makes the headset pretty much useless.

So, a distress email to Lightspeed support. At this stage the neatest solution seemed to be a whole new control box with cables included. But, no: the original Zulu is no longer supported, so you can't get spares for it, and it's not compatible with the controller for the newer models.

But, they said, if all I needed were the sliders, they could indeed send me those. I pointed out that this mightn't work, as USPS doesn't post to Australia, and the cost of parcel freight would be ridiculous. Oh, don't worry about that, they replied.

4 days later, the UPS truck rolled up and deposited a box with several sets of sliders, at no cost to me. In the meantime I'd fixed the cables, so I now have a fully functioning headset again.

This is outstanding support for an old, long superseded product. When the current headset eventually breathes its last, the choice of a replacement will be easy.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:10 AM

I've used nothing but Lightspeed for a while now. Customer support has been fantastic. I'm a happy repeat customer.
Fuselage assembly, it's a riveting job!
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2023
Old 04-09-2022, 07:53 PM

I love light speed. I have two pairs of original zulus and after about 15 years the pads worn out on both. I wasn't at OshKosh last year but had a buddy swing by their booth too see if he could get some for me.

All they wanted was the serial numbers and a picture of the old ones and they comped me two headsets worth of new ones.
Fuselage almost done
Avionics almost done
90% done, 90% to go
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 04-15-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
I love light speed. I have two pairs of original zulus and after about 15 years the pads worn out on both. I wasn't at OshKosh last year but had a buddy swing by their booth too see if he could get some for me.

All they wanted was the serial numbers and a picture of the old ones and they comped me two headsets worth of new ones.
Thats a nice plus, I just paid for complete update kits for both my worn out Lightspeeds. I have used many headsets over the years. Lightspeeds always feel like home.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:23 PM

Default Can I switch the mic boom from left to right?

I know this is an old thread but I have a lightspeed question. Can I switch the mic from the left side to the right side? You would think the mic boom would flip either direction but it does not on mine. My wife is now flying with me and it is a pain for the cord to cross over her. I guess I could move the plugs but if the boom could switch it would be easier.

Thanks
Flying N376E
Old 11-07-2022, 04:58 PM

well, at least on my old ones, you just rotate the boom down like you're sailing around the south tip of Africa, then flip the headset around and the boom and cord have magically swapped sides...
Fuselage almost done
Avionics almost done
90% done, 90% to go
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 11-07-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I have a lightspeed question. Can I switch the mic from the left side to the right side? You would think the mic boom would flip either direction but it does not on mine. My wife is now flying with me and it is a pain for the cord to cross over her. I guess I could move the plugs but if the boom could switch it would be easier.

Thanks
Depends on the model. The mic on Zulu's is not "flippable". The one on Sierras is. Don't know about Tangos.

The difference is the Zulu's ear cups are not designed to be reversed left to right (they are optimized the way they are) and the Sierra's ear cups are bi-directional.
2019? (actually 2022) RV-10 N46BX
Old 11-07-2022, 05:30 PM

Thanks Kyle. I was afraid of that. I watched a video of a guy tightening up his boom and it looked like it might be possible to flip it when you had the retaining nut off but I dont want to be the first to try it! I sent a support ticket to Lightspeed - hope they have a solution.
Flying N376E
Old 11-07-2022, 07:15 PM

So the headset refurbishment service is not available for the Z-1's? Thats disappointing. Anyone know if the new style cables are available as a separate item? I know how to solder - maybe I can get another 14 years out of mine.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 11-07-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
So the headset refurbishment service is not available for the Z-1's? Thats disappointing. Anyone know if the new style cables are available as a separate item? I know how to solder - maybe I can get another 14 years out of mine.
I have a NIB set of Z-1 cables with a control box. Make offer. ;-)
2019? (actually 2022) RV-10 N46BX