Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 01-11-2016, 02:11 AM

slow progress touching up the interior. you cannot do much with the exterior until the interior is finished in my case. proseal at the fwd canopy edge took a long time to cure because it was old but now I am moving on. I primed the interior areas with ppg dplf with no acetone because dupont self etching primer will lift where it had been sanded thru if acetone is added as I discovered when painting other areas. without the acetone it worked fine. it will be interesting to see if the canopy scrape marks on the roll bar with be tougher with the ppg epoxy primer since the paint failed at the dupont self etching primer. no solvent pop this time. two coats and did not expose to sun like I did four years ago. the interior paint is imron polyurethane. since this was a pita job, I see value in simple rattle can paint for the interior that can be sprayed and touched up easily. this job came out nice this time and I managed somehow not pull a hose or step on wet paint. booth is working well. and I almost forgot to mention, baking the paint at 65F for a couple days. outside air temp -7C.

somehow I manage to lose the cover for my stick when priming. I should have taped it down. something to clean up afterward. did I mention painting the interior is a pita.

Last edited by A2022 : 01-11-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:27 AM

curve maker. composite baseboard molding (not wood) from home depot, 12 ft, split in half lengthwise makes a smooth curve. taped to side in the couple places, lay paper over the and find the edge by pressing on the paper and mark line with a graphite pencil. remove the paper and cut the line to make the curve template. the curve for the blue paint on bottom doesn't have much bend but I liked it more than a straight line.... and my wife said she wanted a curve after someone that I'm not going mention told her it would look better with curve, so there you go. this is what can happen when you have multiple inputs on paint.... work expansion.

washed off the green rattle can self etching primer from the tail because it had some flaking and I had time to kill. I will paint this the same white as the overall. supported the harnesses from a string to the roof. I am beginning to feel I am developing painting OCD and may need to see a therapist.

workspace

Last edited by A2022 : 01-11-2016 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 AM

Steve,

Prior to therapy for "Painters OCD", one might recommend taking a few days off and spending quality time with the wife, and/or at one of Cincinnati's many craft breweries.

Given this week's rapidly plunging temperatures, the outdoor beer gardens are, sadly, out of the question, but there are still plenty of indoor locations to serve you...

Keep up the good work, and thank you for posting all this information on VAF.

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 AM

Default Paint/primer

Looking good. For me painting was managing all the variables. I had fits with self etching primer, never again for me. Alumaprep 33, aladine, epoxy primer, sand and paint, color sand 1500, buff to shine with PC buffer. Patience ,practice and pray to the painting Gods.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Steve,

Prior to therapy for "Painters OCD", one might recommend taking a few days off and spending quality time with the wife, and/or at one of Cincinnati's many craft breweries.

Given this week's rapidly plunging temperatures, the outdoor beer gardens are, sadly, out of the question, but there are still plenty of indoor locations to serve you...

Keep up the good work, and thank you for posting all this information on VAF.

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH
I asked my wife for some quality time with her in the paint booth. she declined.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV 7 guy View Post
Looking good. For me painting was managing all the variables. I had fits with self etching primer, never again for me. Alumaprep 33, aladine, epoxy primer, sand and paint, color sand 1500, buff to shine with PC buffer. Patience ,practice and pray to the painting Gods.
agree, this was last of the rattle can primer that I had applied. it has all been removed. even the dupont two part self etching primer gave me trouble. I like the epoxy primer but it will add some weight but it is tough stuff. since I'm out of the 7 day window I will need to scuff the previously applied epoxy primer and spray one coat more of primer before paint. I sprayed the overall epoxy primer outside on the last warm day of the year (75F, a freak day in Nov) after alodine and moved the plane inside. my question is, do you really need to alodine before epoxy primer? it would have been nice to skip that step.

Last edited by A2022 : 01-12-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 AM

one email, good service...

I have attached a proof of the registration number paint mask you are interested in. The cost would be $12.00 each ($24.00 for both sides) and I can ship the same day as you place the order and we can expedite shipping if necessary. If you place the order today, I should be able to send it priority mail (2-3 day delivery). When you are ready to order, you can call (preferred) or email with your credit card information.

Please look over the attachment and let me know if you have any questions or changes.

Thanks,
James
Aerographics
800-336-9633

Last edited by A2022 : 01-12-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
I like the epoxy primer but it will add some weight but it is tough stuff. since I'm out of the 7 day window I will need to scuff the previously applied epoxy primer and spray one coat more of primer before paint. I sprayed the overall epoxy primer outside on the last warm day of the year (75F, a freak day in Nov) after alodine and moved the plane inside. my question is, do you really need to alodine before epoxy primer? it would have been nice to skip that step.
Steve, I don't think you "have" to have alodine before epoxy primer, the epoxy seals everything up pretty well. Maybe for those guys close the the ocean it would help in the seams with corrosion prevention.

The urethane should stick to the epoxy primer even after it is dry, just as well as a second coat of epoxy would. Just have to scuff the epoxy and spray the top coat. I've done it on cars.

RV-6 status: finish kit
dues paid 2022
Old 01-12-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark68 View Post
Steve, I don't think you "have" to have alodine before epoxy primer, the epoxy seals everything up pretty well. Maybe for those guys close the the ocean it would help in the seams with corrosion prevention.

The urethane should stick to the epoxy primer even after it is dry, just as well as a second coat of epoxy would. Just have to scuff the epoxy and spray the top coat. I've done it on cars.
if I had it to do over I think I would skip the alodine step. I don't live by the ocean. I was light on the epoxy on the wings but heavier on the fuse. I'll probably go by the book and spray another light coat of epoxy before paint. it will be interesting to note the weight gain after paint. the boxes of paint felt heavy. I'll probably need to eliminate one of my tool boxes to offset the paint weight gain. I haven't needed them anyway. I may miss my light and nimble naked plane.

Last edited by A2022 : 01-12-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:29 PM

curve template. not much of a curve but the eye will detect it.

taking out a couple of rivet gun dings that some folks around here would point out to me from time to time. more added weight.

step one, sand and filler and sand

step two, epoxy primer

step three, K36 sandable primer

outside air temp = -13C

Last edited by A2022 : 01-12-2016 at 10:49 PM.